Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Back Up Caliber? >

Back Up Caliber?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Back Up Caliber?

Old 11-29-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Back Up Caliber?

I'm looking to trade for, or buy a new revolver to carry as a back up weapon while hunting. Is a .357 good enough or should I step it up a bit? I'll be shooting factory loads only and want plenty of umpf to stop a bear.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Back Up Caliber?

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I'm looking to trade for, or buy a new revolver to carry as a back up weapon while hunting. Is a .357 good enough or should I step it up a bit? I'll be shooting factory loads only and want plenty of umpf to stop a bear.
IF you cannot stop thebear with a rifle, you are in deep kimche if you start shooting at him with a handgun! That is, unlless the wounded bear has run you up a tree, in which case having a .44 Magnum or .454 Casull up there with youmight permit you to shell him as he ascendsup to your perch to bite you!. A .357 will work, I have seen this done. But a bigger caliber is better insurance, and NEVER shoot a handgun at an unwounded bear if you can in any way avoid doing so. If you MUST shoot to prevent injury, by all means shoot the advancing bear right on the tip of the nose, so the bullet can travel up his nasal passages and into the brain, killing him instantly. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T SHOOT TOO HIGH!! A high shot can strike the sloping skull, and go right up over his back!

As a person who hunted bear of various descriptions for three years in Alaska, I have very little faithin the concept of using any handgun on bear if a rifle or 12-GA slug shoitgun is availbable.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:13 AM

What kind of bears? Polar, brown, black? If you're talking black bears, a .357 should be fine. I know a number of guys that kill black bears every year with .357's or .44's.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude I cant believe that anybody would think for one minute that a .357 mag would be plenty of medicine for a bear

Thank god for the hunting net... There might be one less bear mauled hunter in the woods of Colorado this fall
Old 11-29-2007, 07:53 AM

.44, no question...

I like the 357, probably my favorite hadngun round of all time... but for the application you're talkin about, 44 is what i'd want... that or the S&W model 500 (.500 mag cartridge) if I could afford one...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

I'd opt for a RugerSuper Blackhawkin a 44 mag with a 5 1/2 in barrel. 5 1/2 " barrel doesn't get in the way getting on ,off of riding a horse or atv but still points goodand gives a long enough sighting plan to use on a deer or such if you have an opportunity.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

IF you cannot stop thebear with a rifle, you are in deep kimche if you start shooting at him with a handgun! That is, unlless the wounded bear has run you up a tree, in which case having a .44 Magnum or .454 Casull up there with youmight permit you to shell him as he ascendsup to your perch to bite you!. A .357 will work, I have seen this done. But a bigger caliber is better insurance, and NEVER shoot a handgun at an unwounded bear if you can in any way avoid doing so. If you MUST shoot to prevent injury, by all means shoot the advancing bear right on the tip of the nose, so the bullet can travel up his nasal passages and into the brain, killing him instantly. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T SHOOT TOO HIGH!! A high shot can strike the sloping skull, and go right up over his back!

As a person who hunted bear of various descriptions for three years in Alaska, I have very little faithin the concept of using any handgun on bear if a rifle or 12-GA slug shoitgun is availbable.
I'm not sure what made you think I would lay down my rifle and pull out my handgun.I'm going to Alaska on a moose hunt next year,and thought it would be a good idea to carry a sidearm for a back up gun or whileI wasfishing. I think I'll take your advice and look at the .44 or the .454 casull. I've shot both of those at least a handful of times and did not mind the recoil at all. I just got rid of my S&W 460 and I'm glad to be rid of that kicking SOB. I know my rifle would be my, go to gun, but I don't think it would hurt to carry a sidearm. Most of the guysI know that hunt in Alaska carry one. I just want to be prepared.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree with the majority........Minimum .44 Mag
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I you plan to use a .357 Magnum for stopping a bear attack, any bear, please make sure you file the front sight blade right down to the quick and make it a totally smooth ended barrel.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

I you plan to use a .357 Magnum for stopping a bear attack, any bear, please make sure you file the front sight blade right down to the quick and make it a totally smooth ended barrel.
OK 8mm, I'll play Ed Mcmahon for ya.. 8mm, why would you want me to file down the front sight?

Quick Reply: Back Up Caliber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.