Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 The bad rap on Ballistic Tips >

The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 AM

Default RE: The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

ORIGINAL: ncrebel8

Here is my opinion, ballistic tips were designed as varmit bullets, that is still what they are best used for.
No they were not.

ballistic tips do exactly what they were designed to do, they fragment.
Um, no they don't. Like I said in my previous post that is function of the over all bullet design and has nothing to do with it having a polymer tip. People just associate the polymer tip bullets with varmint rounds because they aid in long range ballistics and this is where they work best.

If you took some of your polymer tipped bullets and took the tips off a few I would just about guarantee they would perform the exact same way on game. All the tip does is cover the hole. I would also be willing to bet they would shoot pretty much the same as well, at least out to 300 yards or so.

Paul
Old 12-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: driftrider

I guess they don't teach people how to do research in the public schools anymore. [&:]

Mike
Nope, only how properly cite the sources you paraphrase... which is all a research paper is anyway... long roundabout rants of plagerism connected with lots of prepositional phrases and run on sentences.
That truly does describe so many research papers in college. ROFL[8D][8D]
Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 PM

my buddy shot a doe the other day with 270 wsm ballistic silvertips from 120 yds. he hit her high and the spine was hanging out of her back and the backstrap was ruined. lots of blood.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess they don't teach people how to do research in the public schools anymore.
And I guess no one taught youanything about beinggullable enough to believe everything a company posts on a website. Gosh they sure have no reason to lie huh?

I personally don't care for ballistic tips. Yeah they will kill deer but Jesus what a mess. If you always have a perfect broadside shot and keep them behind the shoulder you should be alright. But on angled shots or a quartering to shot where you need a bullet to blow through a shoulder to get to the vitals I don't trust them. Despite all the talk about thickening the jacket and making them tougher I still think they are too fragile, especially at magnum speeds or on close range shots. Saw a guy shoot a 120 lb doe at 70 yards with a 300 WSM and a 150 gr ballistic silvertip. Hit her 2 inches behind the shoulder on a broadside shot. No exit hole. Maybe that's tough enough for some but not me. I guess it's the bow hunter in me but I like an exit wound.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Despite all the talk about thickening the jacket and making them tougher I still think they are too fragile, especially at magnum speeds or on close range shots.
I guess that is why I am able to drive the 180gr ballistic tips through both shoulders of a mature elk with my 300 ultramag.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Spike

Hee Hee.....I'm with ya RR......But not in your league....at 781 yards you throw an impressive rock..!!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Despite all the talk about thickening the jacket and making them tougher I still think they are too fragile, especially at magnum speeds or on close range shots.
I guess that is why I am able to drive the 180gr ballistic tips through both shoulders of a mature elk with my 300 ultramag.
Stubble,

You are so quick to state your experiences but if anyone has an experience that contradicts yours you discount it. Why should I believe your experience over my first hand knowledge?

I don't like ballistic tips for anything other than varmints. I'm not talking about accubonds, and SST's etc. I'm talking about the Nosler ballistic tip bullets.

I shot a doe a few years back with my 280 loaded with 140gr ballistic tips at 50 yards and the things splashed oncontact. I actually watched an intact lung hang out of the rib cage. The hole was probably 4 inches in diameter. I tract the doe and finished her off. But the results were less than satisfactory. I've never used ballistic tips for anything other than varmint rounds since.

It is quite possible that they have improved the technology since the first days (this was probably 10 years ago). But I've never had a failure with my Sierra gamekings, or Nosler Partitions so I won't be experimenting again anytime soon.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Stubble,

You are so quick to state your experiences but if anyone has an experience that contradicts yours you discount it. Why should I believe your experience over my first hand knowledge?

I don't like ballistic tips for anything other than varmints. I'm not talking about accubonds, and SST's etc. I'm talking about the Nosler ballistic tip bullets.

I shot a doe a few years back with my 280 loaded with 140gr ballistic tips at 50 yards and the things splashed oncontact. I actually watched an intact lung hang out of the rib cage. The hole was probably 4 inches in diameter. I tract the doe and finished her off. But the results were less than satisfactory. I've never used ballistic tips for anything other than varmint rounds since.

It is quite possible that they have improved the technology since the first days (this was probably 10 years ago). But I've never had a failure with my Sierra gamekings, or Nosler Partitions so I won't be experimenting again anytime soon.
these stories are always good reading.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: jorkep

I really could care less whether you or anyone else believe me. I told it as it honestly occured. If you choose not to believe me then so be it. I can assure you though, that I'm not the only person who has had similar experiences.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

ORIGINAL: jorkep

I really could care less whether you or anyone else believe me. I told it as it honestly occured. If you choose not to believe me then so be it. I can assure you though, that I'm not the only person who has had similar experiences.
newsflash, i guarantee you that every single bullet ever made has failed at one point or another.

Quick Reply: The bad rap on Ballistic Tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.