Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Long Range Question >

Long Range Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long Range Question

Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Long Range Question

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

I know that it takes a lot more skill, determination, patience, equipment, etc... to hit an animal over 500 yards then it does to plant a food plot and set up a tree stand.

So who is the "better" hunter??
Does it matter?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Yes, really it does....I think we as a whole prefer not to be considered people who'd take risks with losing an animal like that....some people can do it, most can't. It shouldn't be something the average person should consider.

And are you.......12?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: leben_sie_gut

Yes, really it does....I think we as a whole prefer not to be considered people who'd take risks with losing an animal like that....some people can do it, most can't. It shouldn't be something the average person should consider.

And are you.......12?
He asked who is the "better" hunter. I asked (rhetorically) if it matters....(implying that it doesn't matter)....You didn't seem to catch that. Do you really think it matters who among us is the "better" hunter? IF it really does matter, (which it doesn't)do you think that thereis an answer we could reasonably come up with and agree upon?

Am I......12? 12 what?12 Hundred pounds? 12 years old? 12 times smarter than you? 12 times better than you at hunting? Where did you get 12 from?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:28 PM

Well, it seems you answered my question....

But, regardless, our opinions have been stated, and while it seems to me that yours just makes you seem ill informed and mildy ridiculous, it is indeed your opinion. So, more power to you.

I've stated mine as well, simply based on the fact that I personally believe it is unethical to put a game animal at a higher risk of a non-lethal shot simply because an individual thinks that he or she can hit it a half mile away. Just because you theoretically can, doesn't mean you should....
Old 12-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

I know that it takes a lot more skill, determination, patience, equipment, etc... to hit an animal over 500 yards then it does to plant a food plot and set up a tree stand.

Does it matter?

Yep, its all the guys that sit 50 yards from a food plot that are saying anything over 500 yards is unethical. Whats more ethical, the guy that shoots THOUSANDS of rounds a year preparing and practicing or the guy that shoots once before season and says "good enough"?

The people that are capable of "long range" shots should do it any time they want. The people that aren't capable, but think they are since they bought a new "ultra-mag" are the ones that are giving long range hunting a bad name.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

We all need to quit bickering amongst ourselves-the antis would LOVE this! Now yall quit yer squabbling before I turn yall over my knee.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

Does it matter?

Yep, its all the guys that sit 50 yards from a food plot that are saying anything over 500 yards is unethical. Whats more ethical, the guy that shoots THOUSANDS of rounds a year preparing and practicing or the guy that shoots once before season and says "good enough"?

The people that are capable of "long range" shots should do it any time they want. The people that aren't capable, but think they are since they bought a new "ultra-mag" are the ones that are giving long range hunting a bad name.
I agree with this...to some extent. There's not much excuse for people who fire off a couple rounds before season just to check last years zero and then try to pull off a long shot....especially if it's just at 100 yards, then at 500 inthe field.

Like I said....I'm not knocking anyone's marksmanship....but anyone who does serious shooting at extended ranges should know that there are a lot of variables to take into account that can't always be accounted for in the field, as they might be on the range.

Besides, where do you live, where you can see a game animal at 700+ yards?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

We all need to quit bickering amongst ourselves-the antis would LOVE this! Now yall quit yer squabbling before I turn yall over my knee.
Yep, I'm done ranting.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Yessir
Old 12-11-2007, 09:33 PM

i would choose either the 7mm mag or the .300 win mag for that range shot if you want the shot to have most of the guess work taken out. The speed of the .30-06 is slower than either of them and would require more judging in you aim out to that range. the 7mm and the .300 are very flat shooting and you dont have to worry about haveing to adjust as much for those long range shot and they both have more energy at those ranges than the .30-06. For use with all of these choices with 150 grain bullets, the .300 and the 7mm are both over 3100 fps at muzzle and the .30-06 isjust above 2900fps. I own a 7mm and would be comfortable taking a long range shot with it at a deer.

Quick Reply: Long Range Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.