Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Long Range Question >

Long Range Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long Range Question

Old 11-29-2007, 12:44 PM

Default RE: Long Range Question

I really like the WSM line. I have owned or still own several of them. The 270 WSM is probably my favorite. The 7mm and 300's are excellent as well.

Another thought if you're a reloader is the 6.5-284. I own one and I really am impressed with the results. I've read good reports from Wildcatters about the 6.5 WSM. The 6.5 caliber bullets really shine at the longer distances.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

tough to shoot flatter or higher energy than a 7mm RM, but flatness and energy aren't everything. 30-06, and 300 winmag can hit just as hard or harder. hard to go wrong with any of those.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

well my thoughts on this
25 years ago when I was talking of wanting to shoot deer at extended ranges, all I got was flack about it, I knew it could be done, but didn't know how, I read everything I could find (which wasn't much back then) and tried to learn. Its something you can't really just learn without knoledge of the basics.
When the internet came to be there was a wealth of information there, I took all in that I could, made contacts with smiths who built the rifles, sold the scopes and alot of folks who were way more experienced than I.
Now comments like these

All kidding aside, if you're shooting at North American game at ranges beyond what the .30-06 is capable of, you don't need to be shooting. Grab a radio and call in some artillery. Dismounts in the open, fire for effect.

are just like what I heard 25 years ago, it doesn't help matters any, won't keep the new folks from trying, what they need is solid advise on what it takes to get where they want to be, they need to first hear about the equipment needed, the dedication to build your confidance in your rifle and yourself before pulling the trigger on a live animal. the tools to evaluate a bullet from the time it leaves the muzzle till POI, what effects it, and how you compensate for those effects. This forum is one of the most negative ones that I visit towards the LR folks, at times its been so bad I just don't post, cause of the flaming I get from folks who've never attempted a long range shot so therefore it shouldn't be done.
ok, off my soapbox
RR
Sorry about that back then RR, you are starting to bring me around though
Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

My personal favorites for long range are Sako TRG-S 7MM STW and custom Ruger m-77 mk2 in 7mm rem mag. both are very accurate and very capable of long range. In my opinion if you are confident in your ability to make a long shot who am I to judge chad
Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 PM

It's hard to beat the 7mm Rem Mag. I won't hesitate to shoot at an elk 500 yards away conditions permitting with mine (I practice at a 600 yard range). The same is true with the 300 Win Mag, but the 7mm is a better all-around cartridge if you plan on shooting smaller animals like antelope in addition to elk.

All of the people who say you shouldn't be shooting farther than 200-300 yards have probably never hunted in the West. There's nothing unethical about it, and sometimes your freezer will be empty by the end of the hunting season if you're not willing to take that long shot.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

WTG,

Before you try speaking for all of us, I'll note that I've hunted WY since 1979. Snowies. Bighorns. Black Hills. T-Basin. T-Basin is the only place I've consistently found the terrain open enough to take shots beyond 300 yards on antelope. But, since I've never had to take an antelope at beyond 150 (the game is where you find them), I've had no need to engage in "long range hunting". I hunt public land exclusively, and while you'll find the rancher's fields in the Black Hills open enough for long shots, I can't say that for the National Forest. The Bighorns and Snowies are absolutely too thick - the last elk I shot in the Snowies was at point-blank range.

I can only speak from my own experience. Are there opportunities to hunt at longer ranges out here? Sure there are. Maybe my style of hunting is just incompatible with that method, though? I stalk. I've no opportunity to set up a spotting scope and pick animals up on a hillside that I can't see anyway through the trees. I watched guys in the Snowies sitting in their trucks on the open meadows,drainages and clearcuts. Yeah, I'm sure those guys could engage in some long range hunting if an elk happened their way. I'm not that patient, though. I'd rather look for sign and find the game, rather than let the game come to me.

I've hunted for 29 years now, and only once lost an animal (a doe in 1980) that I'd hit.Are there seasons I've come up empty? Sure. Sometimes I'vefound myself eyeing an animal in country just too rough for meto pack 400 lbs of elk out by myself and passed up theshot. Sometimes I just don'tfind anygame. But, I can never say that I was so desperate to fill the freezer or an empty space on the wall that I've risked crippling or losing an animal by taking a poor shot again.

Unfortunately, I've filled my freezer with four animals that someone else DID take a poor shot on. One antelope, two deer, and an elk. The elk was heavy enough that I'm sure someone was pretty disappointed to have lost him, but reading posts like yourskind of makes me wonder what would happen if you took a shot at an elk 700 yards away, not realizing that I was watching the same elk from 150. He breaks toward the stand of timber I'm in after you hit him, and I finish him off. Whogets to tag him?

Sorry guys, I won't bejoining the long range spotting-shooting club. As I said before, I'm fine punching holes in paper as far out as I can, but I've never been forced to shootbig gameat more than 300 yards and therefore concentrate mypractice at shorter ranges. You can do what you want.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: homers brother

WTG,

Before you try speaking for all of us, I'll note that I've hunted WY since 1979. Snowies. Bighorns. Black Hills. T-Basin. T-Basin is the only place I've consistently found the terrain open enough to take shots beyond 300 yards on antelope. But, since I've never had to take an antelope at beyond 150 (the game is where you find them), I've had no need to engage in "long range hunting". I hunt public land exclusively, and while you'll find the rancher's fields in the Black Hills open enough for long shots, I can't say that for the National Forest. The Bighorns and Snowies are absolutely too thick - the last elk I shot in the Snowies was at point-blank range.
First of all, I never claimed I was speaking for anyone other than myself. That's the way these forums work- everything you say is YOUR opinion. Not anyone elses.

There are literally hundreds of places in the Snowies and Bighorns where you might have to take a 400 yard shot at elk. Across draws, in meadows, ridge-tops, etc. It's the same way in all of the mountain ranges in WY. Are there a lot of places without openings like this, such as the Savage Run Wilderness? Sure. But if you've never seen a spot where you might have to take a longer shot in the Snowies or Bighorns you must have a whole different way of looking at terrain than I do. I won't even start on how many places you may have to take a 300+ yard shot down off of the mountains. And I'm not claiming to be a long-range hunter. I shot my antelope from 75 yards this year, and my deer from 250. The farthest I've ever shot anything was an elk at 350 yards out in the desert. I'm simply saying that if the shot presents itself and I don't feel like I can get any closer, I'll let 'er fly if its within 500 yards, assuming there isn't an excessive crosswind and I have a good rest.

I can only speak from my own experience. Are there opportunities to hunt at longer ranges out here? Sure there are. Maybe my style of hunting is just incompatible with that method, though? I stalk. I've no opportunity to set up a spotting scope and pick animals up on a hillside that I can't see anyway through the trees. I watched guys in the Snowies sitting in their trucks on the open meadows,drainages and clearcuts. Yeah, I'm sure those guys could engage in some long range hunting if an elk happened their way. I'm not that patient, though. I'd rather look for sign and find the game, rather than let the game come to me.
You're missing the point here. Just because a hunter won't hesitate to shoot at an animal that's 400 yards away doesn't mean their hunting strategy is to find animals that will present long range shots. I'm stricktly a spot and stalk hunter as well, but who's to say that the elk or deer whose tracks you're following won't be out in a big opening when you finally get up on them? They could even be in a small opening across a draw, or in a mulititude of other possible locations, where the only shot you can take is what some may consider to be a long shot. Especially if the animal has spotted you and either you take the shot then and there or you're never going to see that animal again.

I've hunted for 29 years now, and only once lost an animal (a doe in 1980) that I'd hit.Are there seasons I've come up empty? Sure. Sometimes I'vefound myself eyeing an animal in country just too rough for meto pack 400 lbs of elk out by myself and passed up theshot. Sometimes I just don'tfind anygame. But, I can never say that I was so desperate to fill the freezer or an empty space on the wall that I've risked crippling or losing an animal by taking a poor shot again.
Are you implying that people who take long shots are desperate? Sure, some of the shots may be desperation shots, and I think that's wrong, but the same can be said about someone who shoots at a animal that is running only 20 yards away. Just because a shot is long-range doesn't mean it's a desperation shot.

Unfortunately, I've filled my freezer with four animals that someone else DID take a poor shot on. One antelope, two deer, and an elk. The elk was heavy enough that I'm sure someone was pretty disappointed to have lost him, but reading posts like yourskind of makes me wonder what would happen if you took a shot at an elk 700 yards away, not realizing that I was watching the same elk from 150. He breaks toward the stand of timber I'm in after you hit him, and I finish him off. Whogets to tag him?
And how do you know that the poor shots people took at those animals were long-range shots? They very well could have been shot from only 150 yards away.

What would happen if i shot an elk from 700 yards away that you were watching and only wounded it? Who gets to tag him then? That's for the two hunters to decide. The fact that it was shot from 700 yards has nothing at all to do with it. Would there be any difference if it was wounded from a distance of only 50 yards? I don't think so.

Sorry guys, I won't bejoining the long range spotting-shooting club. As I said before, I'm fine punching holes in paper as far out as I can, but I've never been forced to shootbig gameat more than 300 yards and therefore concentrate mypractice at shorter ranges. You can do what you want.
That's your own prerogative. I see nothing wrong with people not wanting to shoot long-range, just the same as I see nothing wrong with people not wanting to shoot at moving animals. But I don't criticize them for it simply because I don't agree with their reasoning.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot 2 does this year,1 at 280 actual yards,the other at only 50 yards but was running full blast. Both were bang flops. The farthest I've ever shhot a deer was 647 actual yards with a browning a-bolt rum I built. IHe was already wounded by another hunter and RUNNING ACCROSS MY800 YARD RIFLE RANGE,I didn't feel any of these shots particularly difficult as my a-bolt will group around 2.5" for 5 shot group at 800 yards but I never shoot at deer over 500 yards unless it's already wounded by another shooter. Hats off to ridge runner for the denication it takes to shoot that range.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

well if you have the money bushmaster has a new ar platform that is in a .450 calit is a new round jst for bushmaster i am sure the ammo is not cheap

if it was me i would go with what ever had the most available ammo and cheapest but still a good round
Old 12-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

WTG, RR,

Let's get something straight here - not everyone on this forum spends the money or time on the range that it takes to become a CONSISTENT long-range shooter, nor does everyone on this forum have access to facilities beyond 300 yards.

If you look around this forum, you'll find lots of experience levels. I read posts from quite a number of guys who probably scrape and scratch just to be able to buy one of the less expensive package rifles - and just to be able to participate. The more this community talks of specialized shooting, the more financially alienated these people are going to be, not to mention the more contentious it's going to become (just look where this has gone). You don't need a $2500 rifle and scope, the newest "super-most-extreme-short-magnum", wind doping equipment, rangefinders, GPS, a reloading bench, or an ATV to hunt these days, regardless of all the marketing hypehunters have becomesubject to.Start with the basics, learn, and over time most of us accumulate enough skill and "toys" to try something like "long-range hunting" if that's what we want to do. RR described the process quite well, I believe.

When you promote long-range shooting, consider the group who'll read your post. There's a .338 Edge video running around on the net right now that I've heard more than one "average" hunter at work talk aboutwanting to do the same thing. Most of them can't hit a target NOW at 300 yards. So, to them it's now just a "simple"matter of buying a new magnum rifle, a Leupold VX-1 instead of the old Simmons they're using now, a box ofammo at the Wally World, and maybe a spotting scope. Start saving, boys.

Any wonder why I worry about cripples? WTG said it himself - cripples happen at short range too.And unfortunately, the guys I know who are most liable to cripple game at short ranges are also the ones most intrigued by the .338 Edge .wmv and by posts on forums like this about long-range shooting, especially if it "might" give them an advantage over the rest of us come hunting season.

Quick Reply: Long Range Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.