Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Trigger pull on my Ruger >

Trigger pull on my Ruger

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trigger pull on my Ruger

Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trigger pull on my Ruger

I have a Ruger M77 Mark II in .270 (hence my screen name). The trigger pull is strong and I sometimes end up jerking the trigger when firing quick.

Is there any way to lighten the trigger pull without replacing the trigger?

I was thinking about putting a timminey trigger in it next year but if I can save the money that's great.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trigger pull on my Ruger

Take it to a gunsmith and tell them you want it in the 2.5-3lb range. They should be able to do it for around $50 (or less, probably). I did the same thing on my 7 mag and it works like a dream now. I think I spent $35.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

I charge 35-$40 for trigger jobs on Ruger MKII's if interested? e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger.. cj is rite..you can also practice dryfiring to know just when your trigger will break..theres no surprise this way.. pressure of finger will become more automatic..also make sure you are using proper trigger pull..straight back and proper finger placement on trigger...sounds like youre forcing shots instead of shooting.maybe yourbuttstock needs shaving so that it fitsyour hand better
Old 11-28-2007, 01:05 PM

I don't think getting a lighter trigger is going to fix your jerking the trigger problem. If anything you would be better off with a heavy trigger in that situation. That way you can flinch or jerk it without it going off. If you have a light trigger and do that you may pull your shot off.

Paul
Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I say I jerk the trigger I don't mean I snatch the heck out of the thing. I pull lightly and nothing happens it takes a fair amount of force to pull it compleatly. I dry fire for practice often, I have tried different positions, grips and parts of my finger but the trigger is just a bit heavy and takes a fair amount of force to pull. It is lubed up just heavy.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM

I had my Ruger trigger lower to about 3#'s a few years ago by a gunsmith and it made ALL the difference in the world. Not a very expensive repair for the return!

I know I wouldn't try it myself.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:29 PM

So you are saying you have to pull so hard it pulls the cross hairs off the target? I have had that happen before. I thought you were trying to lighten your trigger to fix a target panic or flinching problem. That usually is no the best route, with a bow or a gun.

Paul
Old 11-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO flinching or panicing. I have killed many deer over the past few years and I am #260 so the 270 is no problem. I just tend to pull the crosshairs slightly on my 270. I have a 30-30 thatI have no problem with its light and crisp and I shoot without moving the hairs, no problem.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

The sear and trigger have to be stoned just right and the spring can be replaced by a competent gunsmith. I have put on Timney triggers and they work great. They replacing or fixing the original trigger might come out to almost the same money.

Quick Reply: Trigger pull on my Ruger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.