Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington corelokt >

Remington corelokt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington corelokt

Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Remington corelokt

shot 2 bucks last week with 140's from the 7-08. One shot through both shoulders and exited...the other went through the entire length of the deer and exited. I couldnt ask for bette rperformance than what they have been giving me. What happened to you was definitely not typical for them.
That's because those WV deer aren't as well built as deer elsewhere
Old 11-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

shot 2 bucks last week with 140's from the 7-08. One shot through both shoulders and exited...the other went through the entire length of the deer and exited. I couldnt ask for bette rperformance than what they have been giving me. What happened to you was definitely not typical for them.
That's because those WV deer aren't as well built as deer elsewhere
Ouch ...[8D]
Old 11-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

One other thing to remember is that the Corelockt bullet has changed from the ones made in the 70's and 80's the new ones have a thinner jacket. If you want to approximate the old Corelockt buy the Corelockt bonded bullet
Old 11-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL@OEH Im hoping if they are that easy that I can just say BOO and watch em flop! I been told Im not the prettiest hunter out there but that may be stretching it just a shade [:@]

I've shot em from 5 yards to 300 yards and have yet to see any problem. I cant imagine that extra 100-150 fps out of the 270 makes that much of a difference to make a nearly failproof bullet into a flying grenade. I've still got a perfectly mushroomed core lokt that I recovered from just under the skin on the rear quarter of an 8 point after having went from one end of the deer to the other and still weighs over 100 grains sitting on the computer desk here. They may have a different construction but it kinda makes me wanna load the 270 up and go try them out. I shot prob 60-70 deer with the 270 before switching to the 7-08 but I mostly used the blue box Federals. The 270 as a rule to me seems to be pretty unpredictable at those very close ranges....meaning I always got the deer but meat damage went from minimal to extreme. Maybe that last 100-150 fps does make that big of a difference...but in this 7-08...I will use nothing else as long as I am only busting the Bambi patch as EKM would say.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL@OEH Im hoping if they are that easy that I can just say BOO and watch em flop! I been told Im not the prettiest hunter out there but that may be stretching it just a shade [:@]

Didn't EKM once say that all you need to kill a deer is a sharp stick ?

I have DRT'd every deer shot at close or long range with a 270,06 or a 308 using Corelockts...of course there is some more meat damage at close range.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife had a bullet blow up on a antelope buckat close range. My faher had the same thing happen to him, on a whitetail buck. Both were shooting Federal "blue box" ammo, both shots were inside 50-yards. Both shots were to the shoulder.
I recommend switching to core-lokt ultra bonded or nosler partitions.

Good luck hunting
Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with a Nosler Partition; one has to have confidence in their equipment. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:07 PM
bigcountry

You know looking back, I used the corelokt since I was 12 up to maybe 24 or 25. Never had one issue besides accuracy. All kinds of shots,shoulder shots, neck shots, texas heart shots, lung/heart of course.

But started reloading, and felt the need to use partitions, felt I needed a tougher bullet so started TBBC, then then grand slams, barnes due to fouling of TBBC, then swift A-frames, now accubond. I in the last 2 years have moved back to ballistic tips and gamekings, and if things keep moving the same, one day, I might be reloading corelokts.

If one has consistent bullet issues, then that person needs to look at themselves and thier shots.

Corelokts are cheap bullets but get the job done. I don't like thier shape variations or thier wieght varations, but overall, good bullets.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

tsoc.....check your ammo..sometimes factory ammo has flaws..look for odd shapes, bulges, wrinkles,etc...Id contact REM if you find any oddities or just to tell your story.. Iv used coreloks and theyve never behaved as youve described
Old 11-28-2007, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Try a 150 gr. speer or hornady.

Quick Reply: Remington corelokt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.