Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I am about to blow up my 30 - 06 >

I am about to blow up my 30 - 06

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I am about to blow up my 30 - 06

Old 11-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I am about to blow up my 30 - 06

I am going to work on my 30 -06 after all my seasons are done in about month to go. I have found some rounds for the same price I got last year. with chirstmas coming I need the money to get my wife something nice. I may also get a new base and rings they are over 10 years old and the heads are get stripped and all rusted. never like the base and rings anyway they the one piece see trough.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:23 PM

My first thought was the barrel needs to be (re)floated. Take a dollar bill and try and slide it between the forestock and the barrel. If it does not want to go, then your forend is touching the barrel and can throw off your shots.
Remove stock from action/barrel, find a piece of dowel that is just slightly smaller than the barrel mortice, and wrap some sandpaper around it and slowly and carefully remove just enough stock material to fit thew dollar bill. You will need to assemble and unassemble (??) a couple times or more. Being careful NOT to overtighten action screws. If you have a cordless drill with a ratchet adjustment, SET IT TO 3 OR LESS (LOW) AND USE IT TO REPLACE THE SCREWS.

Then take it out in a controlled environment and put 3 in paper starting at 25 yards, and working longer.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, looks like mutiple problems, loose screws (fixed( my wife says I have few of those)). I did not have a dollar bill so I used a 10. the right side did not want to go. I don't have any sandpaper or a daw rod, I got some pvc pipe a little smaller. will that work
Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 PM

I feel the see through sights are a big problem. I will bet they are all aluminum, but even steel of that design puts too much leverage on mounts.

Buy leupold/redfield style they are a good value.

If you don't have time, take to a smith.

You speak as though you might be on a tight budget, and I understand that, but don't let saving a few bucks, cost you a lot of time and money.

Did you say brand/model of scope?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

please no downing I do plan to upgrade later.

tasco pronghorn 3 - 9 x 50

but I do know a gunsmith that is pritty good and his prices are really good
Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 PM

Please don't think I am downing you. We sight in rifles as a side business, and I only look at past experience as an indicator of possible problems. And I am sorry to say that is a model I would be suspect of. The tubes are thin, and the suspension is light,they have a high failure rate. Sorry, that is just what I have witnessed in the past. I am not saying you have a scope problem, just offering feedback.

As a note there are some VERY expensive scopes I do not think are very good values either.

I would hunt with my MZ I was confident in, until I could buy a $200 scope and new mounts. Something with a lifetime warranty(good value), like a buckmaster and some leupold mounts and rings.

Unless you know of abuse, I would not think the gun had major problems. Yes a wood stock warping can be a problem also, that would be a judgement I would make if I saw it. PVC with sandpaper should work fine to relieve the stock if you decide to go that way, doubt you would hurt anything by trying.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an older tasco on my ML. it was on my 30 - 06 before I swich them for a newer scope.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 PM

Just sounds like you are in a little bind.

In your situation I would:

Clean gun well including copper solvent.

Check all mountings by strength of hand while gun is firmly mounted in a vise. Looking for loose stock, scope mounts, bases rings.

Look for a bent scope tube, usually right at the power adjustment ring, this is the weakest/thinnest part of the scope.

While gun is locked in vise, adjust power of scope and see if crosshairs jump or move POI.

While gun is locked in vise , tap on scope with hard plastic like screwdriver handle, in worse cases you cand see poi change.

Try new style ammo.

To do these things yourself you will have to be creative and patient.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to get new scope mounts and rings. work on the stock. sadly I am in the middle of rifle season. I am lucky I have my muzzleloader and I have my sks for back up. it won't be until feb. before I can do anything. I am reloading 30 -06 but I was using up some factory loads I had left. they where what I was firing when I had the problem.

I was hoping it was something that was going be faster to fix. this year I had any luck it has been bad on all but 1 guns (sks). thanks for the help,
Old 11-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

i agree wit #40fan i would replace anything that is loose not just loctight it

Quick Reply: I am about to blow up my 30 - 06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.