Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Krieger barrels >

Krieger barrels

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Krieger barrels

Old 11-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Krieger barrels

I'm getting my .257 Roberts re-barreled because I've become obsessed with precision, don't know why, maybe I'm more OCD than I like to think.

Anyway, I've looked at Hart, Shilen, Lilja and Krieger. Lilja does not offer rebarreling so that's another step after buying the barrel. Hart is an option but they only make stainless and I'm leaning towards Cro-moly and keeping the classic blue gloss. I forget if Shilen makes a cro-moly barrel but Krieger does and there services seem pretty reasonable. Has anyone used Krieger to do a rebarrel job and if so are you happy with the results, customer service etc. I thought I read of someone not liking their Krieger barrel, was that Big Country?

So to this Ruger M77 MKII I have a new trigger (Timney), new stock (H-S Precision, spruce green with black) and now a new barrel.

Oh yeah, since I'm getting it rebarreled should I get it rechambered to .257 AI? Any advantage to the AI?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Krieger barrels

AI's are a good idea.

You might also check out Pac-Nor and Broughton for the barrels.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never had Krieger rebarrel a rifle,but I do have a Krieger barrel on a 7mmstw.If fouled a bit when new,but that quickly tapered off,and accuracy averages 1/2 moa.Currently my favorite barrels are Schneider and Gaillard,since both are as accurate as any other barrel yet neither ever fouled nearly as much as other barrels.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:56 PM

I have never have had Krieger install a barrel, either. I do have CM Krieger barrel on my .338-06, though. I had the rifle built back in '97 or '98, and I've got over 1000 rounds through it so far. The rifle still shoots very well.

I have a .280 AI, and I plan to build another rifle with an AI chamber. I would buy another Krieger barrel, but for the next project I want a lightweight stainless .223 AI, and Krieger doesn't offer a light-contour SS barrel. I will probably go with a Pac-Nor barrel, and have them do the chamber and install (my smith doesn't have that particular reamer).
Old 11-24-2007, 06:24 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: pa257

I'm getting my .257 Roberts re-barreled because I've become obsessed with precision, don't know why, maybe I'm more OCD than I like to think.

Anyway, I've looked at Hart, Shilen, Lilja and Krieger. Lilja does not offer rebarreling so that's another step after buying the barrel. Hart is an option but they only make stainless and I'm leaning towards Cro-moly and keeping the classic blue gloss. I forget if Shilen makes a cro-moly barrel but Krieger does and there services seem pretty reasonable. Has anyone used Krieger to do a rebarrel job and if so are you happy with the results, customer service etc. I thought I read of someone not liking their Krieger barrel, was that Big Country?

So to this Ruger M77 MKII I have a new trigger (Timney), new stock (H-S Precision, spruce green with black) and now a new barrel.

Oh yeah, since I'm getting it rebarreled should I get it rechambered to .257 AI? Any advantage to the AI?
Thats was me. I have had two of them, and the last one on my 300RUM fouled horribly. Maybe just a bad one. 300RUM was rough on any barrel. From now on, I will give Dan Lilja a try.

I do have a feeling my bad fouling could have been my ream job by my gun smith. All the fouling was at throat. I don't think he hand lapped my throat. And it also developed heat cracks at 600 rounds or less.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Krieger barrels are pretty close to my favorites of lilja,hart,and snieder barrels. I get them as blanks to save a bit of money.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:08 AM
bigcountry

Hey Niel, what do you think about my post above. Would heat cracks in the throat/rifling area indicate my gunsmith didn't ream properly? I saw the cracks with a hawkeye borescope.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry,there's a real good chance of reamer chattering and leading to the heatcracks in throat if they are showing up pretty early. Gases look for uneven places such as from reamer chatter(gunsmith in too big of a hurry and/or not cleaning out chips often enough),burrs,or sharp corners. In revolvers such as the .460 s&w,this leads to frame cutting.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:48 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Bigcountry,there's a real good chance of reamer chattering and leading to the heatcracks in throat if they are showing up pretty early. Gases look for uneven places such as from reamer chatter(gunsmith in too big of a hurry and/or not cleaning out chips often enough),burrs,or sharp corners. In revolvers such as the .460 s&w,this leads to frame cutting.
I had a feeling it might be my gunsmith's fault. He said the job was to be done in 3 months, but it took over a year, and I pushed him. He didn't own the 300RUM reamer, so he rented one from clymer.

That barrel felt very consistent and would shoot .5MOA until it got copper fouled. I could push a patch down the barrel and was the most consistent barrel I had. But the barrel would build pressure quickly. I hate bad mouthing kreiger when I don't know if it was thier fault or my smiths.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just ordered a new 28 inch 22 caliber Krieger barrel. I wanted a 22-250AI. My gunsmith has a standard 22-250 reamer, but not the AI. He said that he would order a new reamer(at my expense). But he refused to rent a reamer. He said he did not trust a rented reamer, he was adament about it. So I am going with the standard 22-250, and I am having the action blueprinted, with the action threads being redone also.

Now all I have to decide on is the trigger.

The action was a new Remington LH 700 VSF in 22-250. Does anyone know anyone who needs a brand new Remington(22-250) barrel, I wii treat them right. Tom.

Quick Reply: Krieger barrels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.