HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Ruger V. Remington (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/219187-ruger-v-remington.html)

oldelkhunter 11-30-2007 09:36 AM

RE: Ruger V. Remington

Reality is it's a crap shoot when buying rifles anymore especially American made rifles. Your odds of finding a more reliable drag thru the mud rugged rifle lie with the Ruger. There are the old typical wives tales about their bad barrels but that happened when they were making tang safety guns and an outside vendor supplied their barrels, they make a much much better barrel now. Of course you'll have to get a new trigger or modfy the current and get those rings lapped.r When you find a good remington[:@]it usually is a great shooter but accuracy is only one part of the equation. If you look for a Remington try and get an older BDL SS or 80's version and if you find one with an ISS replace it with a real firing pin assemblyl. I went the SPS route a few months ago and the scope mounting screws were drilled and tapped by a blind drunk monkey. I showed it to my gunsmith and all he could say is "Thank God for Leupold Rotary Dovetail mounts" it was that bad. I think I used +20 inserts on the front and -20 inserts(Burris Signature) to get the scope aligned. It was off 18" POI at the 100 yard target that is how bad it was. When I looked thru my scope at the collimator it looked like a set of binoculars. It went back to Remington and was fixed bottom line but I don't own it anymore.

bigbucks98 12-01-2007 07:14 AM

Id go ruger. Theyre much more durable and dependable, especially up to longer ranges. Why the .270?

700xcr 12-01-2007 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: pa257

Thanks, I always wondered why the 700 action was the prefered action. I agree that a custom gun should have a custom trigger and on most of the builders sites it appears that the trigger is replaced, don't know about the safety. I know of one that will use the Model 70 a well.

As for safeties, I like the tang on my M77 .270 but I feel that the 3-way safety is a "safer" safety, especially for hunting.

I see the Aggies beat Texas, 2 years in a row! My wife is an A&M grad ('89)and I guess she would say Gig 'em Aggies (whatever that means).

The phrase"Gig 'em" originated with the Corps of Cadets. The term "gig" is slang for "demerit". Whenever an upperclassman or tactical officer found something amiss with the maintenence of a cadet's uniform or dorm room, a certain number of demerits could be assessed. Kinda like points for driving offenses. After the accumulation of a certain number of demerits, the cadet would have to "walk off" the demerits by marching punishment tours with rifle in the quandrangle between dorms.

So "gig 'em" means "inflict punishment" upon them.

I prefer the Ruger claw extractor. It positively removes fired cases each and every time. I have experienced extraction problems with both Remington M 721's and M 700's. The extractor is the major faux pas of the 700-series designers. In addition, the Ruger has a one-piece solid steel forged bolt, whereas the Remington bolt handles are soldered on, and every once in awhile, one comes off! Usually at the worst possible time. Not good! I would never use a Model 700 as a dangerous game rifle.
I have had problems with Ruger Claw extraction on a M77 in 338win mag. Took a shot at a cow elk and could not extract case. Finally got case out and tried to extract a live round and it wouldn't. Had to finish the hunting season with a Remingto 700 in 8mm Rem. mag.

waynejohnson 12-14-2007 05:11 PM

Love the ruger rifles. I got me an older model m77 with tang safety and red but pad in 7mm mag and it's still shooting as good as it did or beter then the day i got it. And trust me that rifle has gone through punishments hunting all over america and canada but mostly wisconsin and minnesota.

Carpmaster 12-14-2007 07:48 PM

I am not a push feed fan myself....i would always go with the ruger. i really dunno why the remington costs that much more.

MichaelT. 12-14-2007 07:53 PM

It's funny, but folks start talking about rifle brands that the initial poster never mentioned, then they talk about trigger jobs, free floating, lapping the rings.....etc.... and all the fellow asked was ruger or remington....

I own two rugers, and three remingtons, as well as a few other brands, and I would say Buy the Ruger....

I have never had any problems with either of my rugers.....M77 Mark II stainless / syn. and a M77 Compact , stainless / laminate... The safety's are practicle and sure , the fit is nice, and they shoot well..... accuracy is better than most typical hunters can shoot. Straight out of the box, if you do your part, the gun will do its part.

Now, there is nothing wrong with the Remingtons..... but there is also nothing wrong with the Rugers, and they cost less and come with the scope rings...... the bases are integral, built into the gun.

My rifles are all straight out of the box, with no extra work of any kind, and none of my rings are lapped, or anything else.... Buy the gun , mount the scope, sight it in and enjoy.... The gun will last you a lifetime. And if you wanted a custom rebarrel, I doubt you would be looking at a Ruger M77 or a Rem. SPS... So go for the Ruger and save yourself some $$$, that you might want to put towards the scope......

Hope this answers your question.....

jlbspd 12-15-2007 12:35 PM

I vote Ruger! I own several and never one lick of problem. I too must laugh at such a strong statement as for accuracy and fit and finish:D...Ruger is in my opinion a top notch weapon. Ruger has set many high standards for others to follow.... Im not saying Rem's are not a good choice,,,they are damn great rifles! I just feel Ruger is an overall better choice:)cant go wrong either way though....