HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Ruger V. Remington (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/219187-ruger-v-remington.html)

RugerMike 11-25-2007 10:56 AM

RE: Ruger V. Remington

Yes, since they changed their site.

pa257 11-25-2007 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: pa257

I own two Rugers and as much as I like the looks and mauser action I would get a Remington for the reason if you ever want to get a custom rifle most buildersprefer the 700 action. At least that's what I found in my research of custom builders.
The "custom builders" who prefer a Remington action prefer it because the round receiver is much easier and faster to inlet, due to being round in cross-section. But a custom rifle should have a custom trigger, and a better safety setup than you get with a Model 700 Remington action. For a safety, I much prefer the tang type that is on the older Model 77Rugers, some Mannlicher-Schoenauers, andmanycustom rifles made in Germany....
Thanks, I always wondered why the 700 action was the prefered action. I agree that a custom gun should have a custom trigger and on most of the builders sites it appears that the trigger is replaced, don't know about the safety. I know of one that will use the Model 70 a well.

As for safeties, I like the tang on my M77 .270 but I feel that the 3-way safety is a "safer" safety, especially for hunting.

I see the Aggies beat Texas, 2 years in a row! My wife is an A&M grad ('89)and I guess she would say Gig 'em Aggies (whatever that means).

rem 700 11-25-2007 11:51 AM

I personally would get the Remington. IMO, they look better, cycle smoother, and are easier to work with. On the flip side, you save $150 on the Ruger and get a rifleI can't deny is a workhorse. More to spend on glass and any gunsmithing jobs you're interested in (bedding, trigger). Either way you'll get a good shooting rifle and you'll probably spend the same on either when it's all said and done.

DANTHEHUNTER 11-26-2007 04:16 AM

I would get the ruger.They are tough as nails and I have never had one that wouldnt shoot .I dont know where that came from but .... The trigger isstiff but its not that bad for a hunting rifle.If you are going to shoot 400 to 1000 yards then you will need a trigger job.I just like the mauser action and if you get the MKII target that laminated stock is strong and the rifle will shoot

eldeguello 11-26-2007 06:54 AM

Thanks, I always wondered why the 700 action was the prefered action. I agree that a custom gun should have a custom trigger and on most of the builders sites it appears that the trigger is replaced, don't know about the safety. I know of one that will use the Model 70 a well.

As for safeties, I like the tang on my M77 .270 but I feel that the 3-way safety is a "safer" safety, especially for hunting.

I see the Aggies beat Texas, 2 years in a row! My wife is an A&M grad ('89)and I guess she would say Gig 'em Aggies (whatever that means).

The phrase"Gig 'em" originated with the Corps of Cadets. The term "gig" is slang for "demerit". Whenever an upperclassman or tactical officer found something amiss with the maintenence of a cadet's uniform or dorm room, a certain number of demerits could be assessed. Kinda like points for driving offenses. After the accumulation of a certain number of demerits, the cadet would have to "walk off" the demerits by marching punishment tours with rifle in the quandrangle between dorms.

So "gig 'em" means "inflict punishment" upon them.

I prefer the Ruger claw extractor. It positively removes fired cases each and every time. I have experienced extraction problems with both Remington M 721's and M 700's. The extractor is the major faux pas of the 700-series designers. In addition, the Ruger has a one-piece solid steel forged bolt, whereas the Remington bolt handles are soldered on, and every once in awhile, one comes off! Usually at the worst possible time. Not good! I would never use a Model 700 as a dangerous game rifle.

f5mandopicker 11-27-2007 05:41 PM

I own 3 Ruger Model 77 rifles in 30.06, 7mm.08, and 7mm Rem. Magnum. They are solid and dependable hunting rifles priced right.

statjunk 11-28-2007 12:25 PM

I'd also go Ruger before Rem. I'm surprised that anyone would say that a Rem can compete with a Ruger in fit and finish. Seems to me that Ruger has Rem pretty beat on this one.

As for accuracy I've had an issue with my Ruger but it is relatively resoled and the gun is shooting about an 1" right now. Need more shooting time to know 100% for sure. I had a Timney trigger put in mine and I floated myself. I also had the lugs glass bedded. Total additional cost to me was $180.

I'd take a long look at the Mod 70. Older ones.

Tom

heeze gutshot shortee 11-28-2007 12:31 PM

stuck on RUGER

stuckinthereeds 11-29-2007 09:18 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Now that rifle season is done I think I'm gonna wait for the sales to start. Or maybe I'll just treat myself to a Christmas gift.

Gangly 11-30-2007 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I own two Rugers and as much as I like the looks and mauser action I would get a Remington for the reason if you ever want to get a custom rifle most buildersprefer the 700 action. At least that's what I found in my research of custom builders.
The "custom builders" who prefer a Remington action prefer it because the round receiver is much easier and faster to inlet, due to being round in cross-section. But a custom rifle should have a custom trigger, and a better safety setup than you get with a Model 700 Remington action. For a safety, I much prefer the tang type that is on the older Model 77Rugers, some Mannlicher-Schoenauers, andmanycustom rifles made in Germany....

WHOOOOOOOP!!!!