HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Ruger V. Remington (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/219187-ruger-v-remington.html)

Paul L Mohr 11-24-2007 01:41 PM

RE: Ruger V. Remington

I would suggest a savage myself.

Or even a stevens and then put the extra money towards a better scope.

Paul

pa257 11-24-2007 03:19 PM

I own two Rugers and as much as I like the looks and mauser action I would get a Remington for the reason if you ever want to get a custom rifle most buildersprefer the 700 action. At least that's what I found in my research of custom builders.

millerhunter13 11-24-2007 04:33 PM

well i would look into a used win 70, just my opinion.

Buffinator 11-24-2007 05:26 PM

Remington. I own a 700 bolt action, and a semi-auto, both chambered for .270. Both are accurate and dead reliable. I would recommend Remington's to everybody.

270 bdl 11-24-2007 09:12 PM

Ruger makes a pretty nice rifle. However, our military snipers use the remington.

RugerMike 11-25-2007 07:30 AM

I have a as new 98% Ruger MKII 270 ready to go w/a Simmons Whitetail Expedition Scope 1MOA all day long. $550 delivered Iwill consider some trades as wellif interested? e-mail me at [email protected]

eldeguello 11-25-2007 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Based on what? Personally I think that Remington's rifles blow Ruger's totally out of the water. The fit, finish, and accuracy are far and away better on Rems. If you get a good shooting Ruger, you probably got the 1 in 10 gun. About one in ten will be a real nailer. One in ten will also be a total dog. The other 8 will all shoot sub 2" groups.
I must speak up in defense of Ruger. But first, I must say that my experience with Ruger rifles is pretty much based on ones made before about 1990. The ones I've tested, both M77's and No. 1's, would all shoot 1.5 MOA or better with handloaded ammunition. Some much better.For example, my No. 1B 7mm Rem Mag will shoot several loads, using 140, 160, and 175-grain bullets, into 1" @ 200 yards. Most others, including a No. 3 in .30/40, are at least half as good.

I will admit that Remington BOLT-Action rifles have an excellent reputation for accuracy. Some of their others aren't so great, especially their semi-autos!

I can't speak for factory ammo, because I just don't use any!

eldeguello 11-25-2007 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: pa257

I own two Rugers and as much as I like the looks and mauser action I would get a Remington for the reason if you ever want to get a custom rifle most buildersprefer the 700 action. At least that's what I found in my research of custom builders.
The "custom builders" who prefer a Remington action prefer it because the round receiver is much easier and faster to inlet, due to being round in cross-section. But a custom rifle should have a custom trigger, and a better safety setup than you get with a Model 700 Remington action. For a safety, I much prefer the tang type that is on the older Model 77Rugers, some Mannlicher-Schoenauers, andmanycustom rifles made in Germany....

RugerMike 11-25-2007 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Based on what? Personally I think that Remington's rifles blow Ruger's totally out of the water. The fit, finish, and accuracy are far and away better on Rems. If you get a good shooting Ruger, you probably got the 1 in 10 gun. About one in ten will be a real nailer. One in ten will also be a total dog. The other 8 will all shoot sub 2" groups.
Based on my 37 years of gun experience in the field and on the work bench. I'd say you don't have a clue about Rugers and or Remingtons. But that's just my opinion like your's one sided.

millerhunter13 11-25-2007 10:38 AM

hey rugermike, do you like huntingnet better then huntingclub?