Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Whats a good competition Handgun >

Whats a good competition Handgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats a good competition Handgun

Old 01-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Whats a good competition Handgun

Hi guys. I am looking to get into PPC (Police Practical Competition) and I am looking for a good set up to buy and to load for. I hear that .38's and .380's are cheap to load for and may be a good choice. Revolver over semi?

PPC is much like the stuff you see on the Bianchi cup.

Thanks
Eric
Old 01-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats a good competition Handgun

really its all on what YOU can shoot...i can shoot autos fairly well and when it comes to revolver im lucky to hit the paper...its alot diffrent from an auto..your grip has to change and all kinds of stuff..my dad grew up and was a cop for a while and all he shot was a revolver...he tore holes in a target liek a rifle would...nice groups..now he swithched to autos and is good with both..it takes practice to become good with both but autos most anyone can pick one up and hit the paper..revolvers take practice and learning...whatever you shoot now would be the way id go...as for the gun and caliber i cant help you on i am not familiar on that shoot
Old 01-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say autoloader just because alot of competitions require reloading the handgun in the middle of a timed event. Not to say that there aren't revolver shooters that can reload and shoot really fast, but most people I shoot with use a 1911 for IPSC competitions and a Beretta or Glock for IDPA shoots. I just shoot a Beretta 92 which takes a bit of getting used to with learning trigger control in both double and single action fire, but 9mm ammo can be had for really cheap and more importantly my scores keep getting better and I have fun. The only ground I really give up to 1911 shooters in IPSC is a tiny bit of speed and being scored in the minor caliber class.

As with any kind of competitive shooting sport, its probably best to go to an event and see what others are using and talk to them about their equipment. Some may even let you try their stuff out. You don't want to spend alot of money on something and find out its not suitable for what you want to use it for.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 01-24-2003, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, this all depends on what KIND of competition you are planning on getting into!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 01-24-2003, 01:56 PM
jed
Fork Horn

PPC is basically for stock or carry pistols. There is a modified class for as much money as you can spare, revolver or auto, the choice is personal. I found it easier to learn on a revolver. I found it easy to care and maintain as well as easy to shoot. 38's are cheap as well. Most guys have swithed to the auto, but the course is still designed for 6 round bursts.

Old 01-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks I appreciate the help.

Eric
Old 01-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shot compitition for quite a few years. 90 percent of us, me included shot 1911 model 45 auto. Loaded with 200 grain swc. Very cheap to shoot easy to reload and will do the job on nearly any type of target steel or paper. I did shoot revolver class as well and the 38 special is a very good choice. Many of the guys had S&W 45 auto caliber revolvers as well to make use of the same ammo. For bowling pins if they get into that the 45 long colt was another good choice in revolver class. I reloaded and shot about 1000 rounds a week through the summer. I shot about 750 rounds per week for practice. I finally got burned out reloading and gave it up for now. Good luck.

Old 01-24-2003, 10:03 PM

Kimber Custom Target II

This is a 1911 style handgun that shoots the .45 ACP round.

Kimber is the number one seller of 1911 style handguns. They outsell Colt, the original maker of the 1911. There is a reason they sell so well. VERY, VERY accurate right out of the box. At a VERY decent price.

Most full frame Kimbers (1911 Government) "point shoot" like a dream. You just look at the target and a bullet hole appears in the "x ring". Ok, at least it did for me... double tap body and one to the head, on a torso target at 30 feet. All three dead center. My double-taps were just about touching each other!

I currently own three Kimbers and don't want to sell any of them!

DREAM BIG, LIVE LARGE, DIE HAPPY ~Country Boy
Old 01-26-2003, 09:37 AM

For PPC the old standby, Smith & Wesson model 10, Douglas or Clark barrel, Aristocrat 3-way rib sight, and finding a good gunsmith to tune the trigger. With Safariland Comp II speedloaders you won't have any trouble handling the reloading within the time limits. I built mine 20 years ago, and after 1000's of rounds thru it, it still has a few "600's" left in it. .38's are cheap to reload and do well out to 50 yards for outdoor shooting.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Kimber custom target!

Quick Reply: Whats a good competition Handgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.