Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 798 Mauser action?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Remington 798 Mauser action?

It is made in Serbia by Zastava,the people that make the Yugo.

Yes indeed hopefully it is not made by the same fine crafstmen responsible for the Yugo.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought that the factory that made the Yugos was bombed flat by the Clintoon administration because of its threat to the entire free world[8D]
The yugoslavians have been making mauser sylre rifles for a long time, not thebest or the highest quality, but good enough ones.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought that the factory that made the Yugos was bombed flat by the Clintoon administration because of its threat to the entire free world[8D]
The yugoslavians have been making mauser sylre rifles for a long time, not thebest or the highest quality, but good enough ones.
YOu know I think your right about that. Yugo factory and the Aspirin factory in Africa...he knew how to pick out those strategic targets..
Old 12-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

So if I'm hearing you guys right, you think a far better buy would be to find a used but good condition Charles Daly (Interarms) Mauser and fix it up with my own details... and better yet if one is a fan of the Mauser platform would be to buy a CZ.....(I've been toying with their American 500 in the 9.3 X 62)

Do you guys know of anybody producing a sporter Mauser WITH a 3 position safety ala the Winchester style? Or would you think it an easy and affordable thing (Under $75.00) to have a Charles Daly safety replaced.

I've done the "sporterize my own 98" thing before, and although it is very nice, it was awfully pricey when compared to the Charles Daly and other Mauser variants I'm seeing in the used ads..... assuming I could find the caliber and condition I'd settle for that is.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

So if I'm hearing you guys right, you think a far better buy would be to find a used but good condition Charles Daly (Interarms) Mauser and fix it up with my own details... and better yet if one is a fan of the Mauser platform would be to buy a CZ.....(I've been toying with their American 500 in the 9.3 X 62)

Do you guys know of anybody producing a sporter Mauser WITH a 3 position safety ala the Winchester style? Or would you think it an easy and affordable thing (Under $75.00) to have a Charles Daly safety replaced.

I've done the "sporterize my own 98" thing before, and although it is very nice, it was awfully pricey when compared to the Charles Daly and other Mauser variants I'm seeing in the used ads..... assuming I could find the caliber and condition I'd settle for that is.

Gentry gunsmithing makes a 3 position Winchester safety for the Mark X/Remington 798. I think the safety sells for 150 + installation . That would be one way. We can thank Remington for jacking up the price of Charles Daly mausers which used to be pretty reasonable.

Ohter alternatives : I have been looking for a Browning Safari CRF feed rifle and have found a few . JC Higgins 53 little difference between them and the Browning. These would be the best of the best except for those 6000 dollar boutique rifles out there now.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the lead on Gentry. I've bookmarked his website and will consider his services for a quality project in the future.
I have a smith here in Michigan (Saginaw) that is very trusted on everything Mauser and so will check in with him also.
Thanks again....