Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 buying first new shotgun any tips >

buying first new shotgun any tips

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buying first new shotgun any tips

Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default buying first new shotgun any tips

my parents are going to buy me a new shtogun for xmas this will be my first new shotgun ever and is there any tips for breaking it in and should i go for rifled or non rifled and rifle sight or just the pin i will hunt mostly deer and plan to do some turkey and waterfowl hunting with it

what are the pros and cons for a rifled barrel and rifle sights
Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: buying first new shotgun any tips

Do you have to use a shotgun to hunt deer in your area?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

well bow which i have muzzleloader which i do not have pistol cal rifle which ido not have

or shotgun or handgun
Old 11-19-2007, 02:45 PM

well if you want a good all around gun go with a remington or mossberg or if you can find one for sale a winchester, but those are all pumps and semi autos, Personally i like singles so i would go with a H&R 12 or 20 guage with a normal shotgun barrle and then ship it in to H&R and get the slug barrle of your choice for about 100 so you have 250-280 in it instead of 350-400 for a pump or semi auto but what ever action you like is up to you not me, just my 2 cents.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

I don't what kind of money you are talking about, but I wouldn't want a single shot slug gun for waterfowling. Maybe a Remington 870 would be you best bet since you can buy a two barrel set which would include a rifled slug barrel for deer hunting and smooth bore choked barrel for any other types of shotgun hunting you would want to use it for. As far as the pros and cons of rifled slug barrel I guess they are suppose to be more accurate than a smooth bore at a longer distance. You might consider a shotgun scope for the slug barrel also. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i would not use the sluggun for waterfowl i wont to stay around 200 new or used mayber alitte more if it is a nice gun i hunt deer primary but wont to get into turkey and waterfowl but i do not wont to loss out on a good deer gun to hunt birds ifi will i will just go with two guns

ORIGINAL: Bandhunter

I don't what kind of money you are talking about, but I wouldn't want a single shot slug gun for waterfowling. Maybe a Remington 870 would be you best bet since you can buy a two barrel set which would include a rifled slug barrel for deer hunting and smooth bore choked barrel for any other types of shotgun hunting you would want to use it for. As far as the pros and cons of rifled slug barrel I guess they are suppose to be more accurate than a smooth bore at a longer distance. You might consider a shotgun scope for the slug barrel also. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 PM

you can get an H&R topper for around 89.00 at dicks or walmart
Old 11-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, it sounds like the Remington 870 with both barrels would be a good way to go. A very reliable classic of a shotgun.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

my parents are going to buy me a new shtogun for xmas this will be my first new shotgun ever and is there any tips for breaking it in and should i go for rifled or non rifled and rifle sight or just the pin i will hunt mostly deer and plan to do some turkey and waterfowl hunting with it

what are the pros and cons for a rifled barrel and rifle sights
Go with the 870 "Combo"
Old 11-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

I would go with 870. Get the cantilevered rifled slug barrel with it. It will cost a little more than themossberg but I personally think the remington is built a little better.