HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Remington cdl 700 or Browning A-bolt Medallion? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/218251-remington-cdl-700-browning-bolt-medallion.html)

atrautweiler 11-18-2007 07:24 AM

Remington cdl 700 or Browning A-bolt Medallion?

Want a new gun for deer. Either .243 or .308 and was wondering what anyone thinks...praise, horror story, thanks.

stalkingbear 11-18-2007 07:31 AM

RE: Remington cdl 700 or Browning A-bolt Medallion?

Anyone that has ever read many of my posts knows I'm crazy about browning a-bolt actions/rifles. This is my all time favorite action with very little work as basis to build custom rifles from. As far as caliber/cartridge,how about the excellent 7mm08? The remington 700 actions are good but sorely lacking in extraction dept. Whenever I use 700,I always change over to sako style extractor.

atrautweiler 11-18-2007 07:39 AM

I have a winchester 70 featherweight in 7mm-08 and love it! My wife has decided to take up hunting, in fact she's out there now with my gun. She may take the featherweight or the new one. I would love the A-bolt in 7mm-08 but didn't see it listed on thier web site. It realyy is a beautiful gun. My brother has a rem model 7 and I can't get rounds to cycle easily...

stalkingbear 11-18-2007 07:57 AM

They offer the 7mm08 in medallion,composite stalker,stainless stalker,and micro medallion.

popeye 11-18-2007 09:17 AM

Browning, Browning, Browning :)

Hairtrigger 11-18-2007 09:32 AM

I am a big Browning fan. I also like the Remington CDL.
All esle being equal I would go with the Remington

stubblejumper 11-18-2007 10:23 AM

I have owned one a-bolt,and will never own another.The trigger is over complicated and will not adjust low enough,the bolt is overly complicated,and the magazine system is over designed and slower to use than othe detachable mag systems.The fit and finish are good, but having more parts than necessary is not a good thing on a hunting rifle.

Folically Challenged 11-18-2007 11:06 AM

Whichever fits. Both rifles have enough die-hard fans to have earned their reputations.

I've gone to my gun store for 2 years now, to have them"show" me a .243 CDL that handles like a wet dream. If I didn't already have a .243, that gun would be in my safe. Hell, it may still end up in there. And that's in spite of the fact that I'd recommend the .308 out of those 2 cartridges!

And speaking of cartridges, why not split the difference & go with a 7mm-08? It's still a short-action number, & it seems to be give the most "dead for the bang" of almost any cartridge when it comes to deer.

I have a CDL in .30-'06 that handles like it's a part of me. I can't really justify buying a rifle in any other cartridge, since I don't see myself ever chasing big bears. And if I did buy another rifle, I'm pretty sure I'd just get another CDL. They fit me that well.

The claptrap above notwithstanding, if the A-bolt fits youas well as the CDL's fit me, then go get yourself an A-bolt!

FC

stalkingbear 11-18-2007 11:32 AM

Stubblejumper-did that a-bolt ever fail you? Any good gunsmith can easily take trigger to whatever weight you choose-all my personal a-bolts are between 14 oz and 2 pounds depending on intended use. As to the mag-it has a X spring instead of a W spring to avoid tipping and is very reliable. The bolt is designed to be slick and has only 60 degree bolt throw. Honestly what was SO bad about it other than personal preference? I would love to friendly debate you on a-bolts and show you about a dozen or so of my own.

stubblejumper 11-18-2007 12:03 PM

I hunt in rugged conditions and in a harsh climate where simpler is better.The less parts,the less chance of problems.I can easily adjust the trigger pull on my 700 rifles to well under three pounds with no replacement parts required.The remington detachable mags has proven to be trouble free for me,and they are simpler and quicker to install and remove.As for the 60 degree bolt,I didn't find it to be an advantage,and my 700 actiona are just as smooth.One thing that you must be aware of,is that the a-bolt action is seldom used to build custom guns.Obviously more people prefer the 700 action,or this would not be the case.If more people liked the a-bolt,the aftermarket companies would be selling a much greater variety of aftermarket parts,and more gunbuilders would be building rifles on a-bolt actions.