Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What gun should I buy >

What gun should I buy

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What gun should I buy

Old 11-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What gun should I buy

Heres the deal friends

I took my gun, a .308 mossberginto the shop today to be bore sighted. Its an older gun as I got it from my uncle when I got my first deer many moons ago. My uncle got it from my grandfather. Anyhow, the wood stock hasa good size crackit.The shop guy told me that he recomends not shooting it. He also said they stoped making that type of stock around 15 years ago. So a new stock for it would have to be customized and would be more expenisive than just buying new gun. Well, I agree.

Well, this leads me to my question. I need to buy a gun. It will mainly be used for deer, antelope and sometimes elk. I would like a longe range gun. I have been thinking of a .270 or a 30.06. So i need your imput. Would these guns do what I need? Or should I consider another caliber? I don't havea specific brand yet. What are the pros and cons of the above guns? I guess I just need your advice. I must admit I don't know a lot about guns so any help you give me woudl be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What gun should I buy

Either of those choices would do (and have done many times) everything on your agenda.

Just find a rifle that you like and fits you really good and go for it.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

your shop guy is a moron.(kidding) just because a gun hasnt been made in 15 years isint a big deal. do a google search on your particular model and start there. no reason to give up on a gun that shoots good and is special or has history to it. check some of the web sites like ebay,gun broker, gun parts,. heck even give mossberg a call. i bet you could find one . what model is it? http://www.gunstocksinc.com/ http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/crossref1.htm http://www.gunbroker.com/ http://www.e-gunparts.com/dept.asp
Old 11-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a model Mossberg 800A
Old 11-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

He probably gave you god advice not to shoot a rifle with a badly cracked stock, but it also sounds to me like he's more interested in selling you a new rifle than fixing the problem at hand. Liquidorange gave you good advice on where to start. I'd call Mossberg first. While the 800A may not have been made for 15 years, they might just have a spare stock or two sitting around somewhere that they might sell you for much less than a new rifle. If that doesn't pan out, most of the stockmakers out there will custom inlet a stock for you for less that a new rifle as well (it IS your grandpa's rifle that he handed down, after all). As long as you don't want to stick AAA Exhibition Grade French walnut furniture on it (absolutely beautiful, but VERY pricey!), it should be a good value.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 11-17-2007, 09:47 PM

Here is some.

http://www.gunstocks.com/bargmoss.html

Old 11-17-2007, 09:55 PM

I would buy a new gun and fix the old.

I would have to see a picture of the damage, but many damaged stocks can be refurbished with a little work, and a few simple tools. You will loose nothing by trying, if you were planning to buy a new stock. That would be a great project.

While you are working on your project you will need an operational new firearm. Thus the justification you will need to buy another.

270 3006 not much practical difference , both are a geat choice. 308 is an equally great choice. 270 fires 130-150 grain ammo usually. 308 usually 150 - 180 grain. 3006 usually 150-220 grain. 308 only slightly slower if any than 3006 when shooting the same bullet.

270, 3006, and 308 are common, practical, inexpensive any will take most any north american game. 3006 is probably the most versitile while 270 has slightly less recoil when using 130 gr ammo.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

It will mainly be used for deer, antelope and sometimes elk. I would like a longe range gun.
May consider the 7mm rem mag? I either own or have owned a 308win, 3006sprg, 270win or 7mm rem mag(plus a variety of others as well). The 7mm rem mag fits my all arounder situation for antelope to moose and a variety of ranges seen in Saskatchewan.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I'm worried about with bigger guns, such as 7mm, is the amount of damage it will do to the meat. I borrowed my grandfathers 7mm last year, shot a doe, but pretty much destroyed the front shoulder. Also, what are the differences between a "regular caliber" and an mag. or an ultra mag.? Is it just the knockdown power?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Difference is case (brass) capacity = more powder. Faster MV which lead to flatter trajectory and more energy across ranges.

I hear about the 7mm rem mag being a meat waster just haven't experienced it myself. I expect meat damage when I hit thebone/meat/shoulder, regardless of the cartridge I maybe using. Bullet, range, shot placement are all factors. Ie: I was chatting with a guy at the range who claimed his 300wm was a meat waster and too much gun for deer. He then went on totell a story about shooting a wt doe at close range last fall. The bullet he was using was a 110gr hollow point, that he claimed was hitting near 4000fps MV. I asked why/how he thought such a bullet would perform and the conversation just ended.

Just a suggestion based on your criteria of long range and larger then deer possibilities. Best of Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.