Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Kid friendly caliber >

Kid friendly caliber

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Kid friendly caliber

Old 11-17-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Kid friendly caliber

Since I'm new here forgive me if this has been asked before. My son will be 12 and able to shoot his own deer next year where we live.
I have a 30-06 and a 12 gauge slug gun, which both hurt my shoulder after a couple of rounds, so I know either one will be to much for him.

Yes he will go through a hunters safety course first, and I will be with him in the stand.
I just would like to know a good caliber, please don't go off into autoloader vs bolt action, the greatest manufacturer ever, or any other tangent.
THANK YOU
Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Kid friendly caliber

Try a Ruger carbine in 44 Mag if the shots are close.

Longer shots maybe a 7mm08.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

.243 Win, or 6mm Rem.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:34 PM

7mm-08, light recoil, good performance and it's easy to find ammo
Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

.243 Win, or 6mm Rem.
I second that. Good caliber to start out with.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

.243 Win, 7mm-08, 6mm Rem (if you can find one), .257 Roberts, and he might even do ok with a 25-06.

Another suggestion I'd make, since it's his first time out this year, you might want to consider letting him use your .30-06, but load it with the Remington Managed Recoil ammo. It uses a 125gr bullet at 2600fps, making it kick about like a .243 Win. The 125gr .308cal bullet is a Core-Lokd bullet specially designed to perform at the reduced velocity, and is said to be quite effective on deer. I don't know what your situation is, but if getting him his own gun right now is less than do-able, it'd be a good option. Also, you might also consider getting him a rifle in .308 Win and still starting him on the Managed Recoil ammo. A couple-three years down the road when he's a little older and bigger he could work up to full-power ammo. The .308Win is great for everything up to elk and will serve him well for all the hunting he's likely to do for the rest of his life, unless he gets the wild hair to go after the great bears or large African game someday.

Good Luck to you and your son.

Mike

Old 11-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: driftrider

.243 Win, 7mm-08, 6mm Rem (if you can find one), .257 Roberts, and he might even do ok with a 25-06.

Another suggestion I'd make, since it's his first time out this year, you might want to consider letting him use your .30-06, but load it with the Remington Managed Recoil ammo. It uses a 125gr bullet at 2600fps, making it kick about like a .243 Win. The 125gr .308cal bullet is a Core-Lokd bullet specially designed to perform at the reduced velocity, and is said to be quite effective on deer. I don't know what your situation is, but if getting him his own gun right now is less than do-able, it'd be a good option. Also, you might also consider getting him a rifle in .308 Win and still starting him on the Managed Recoil ammo. A couple-three years down the road when he's a little older and bigger he could work up to full-power ammo. The .308Win is great for everything up to elk and will serve him well for all the hunting he's likely to do for the rest of his life, unless he gets the wild hair to go after the great bears or large African game someday.

Good Luck to you and your son.

Mike
Thats a good idea too. I forgot about the managed-recoil ammo.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 PM

.243 WIN
Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 PM

All of the above Ideas and calibers are great suggestions. I like theNEF single shot in 45-70. As a newer shooter make sure your son wears hearing protection, almost all of the bad shooting habits I see come from noise, not recoil. Kids are tough.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ideaman

All of the above Ideas and calibers are great suggestions. I like theNEF single shot in 45-70. As a newer shooter make sure your son wears hearing protection, almost all of the bad shooting habits I see come from noise, not recoil. Kids are tough.
Amen to that!

Not to mention that it's vitally important to protect his hearing. All CF firearms are loud enough to cause some amount of PERMANENT hearing damage, even with one shot. If your ears ring after the shot, you've lost some of your hearing FOREVER. You might not be able to perceive the loss, but the damage is cumulative and will get a little worse every time it happens (trust me on this, I speak from experience). The good habits he learns now about wearing good hearing protection will save his hearing years from now.

Mike

Quick Reply: Kid friendly caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.