Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 mosin nagant >

mosin nagant

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mosin nagant

Old 11-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default mosin nagant

i got one a few yaers back for plinking, and now i am thinking of maybe deer hunting with it next year. do any of ya got one and how do ya like it?

pat
Old 11-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mosin nagant

The mosin nagant will work great for deer and is perhaps THE MOST under rated rifle in the world. It has plenty of horsepower but be sure and get soft pointed bullets.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

The mosin nagant will work great for deer and is perhaps THE MOST under rated rifle in the world. It has plenty of horsepower but be sure and get soft pointed bullets.
True...as long as the rifle is one of the few from the surplus gun market that will shoot worth a darn. I've had two Nagants that were, at BEST, 4 MOA rifles with non-surplus ammo. The surplus (corrosive) stuff would "group" (I use the word loosely here) at 6-8" off the bench. In other words, they would NOT keep 3 shots on an 8.5x11" sheet of paper at 100 yards. Not exactly what I'd call acceptable hunting accuracy.

I would say that, if you have a better scoped rifle in a suitable deer cartridge, I'd stick with that as a hunting piece and leave the old warhorse in semi-retirement. But if you REALLY want to use it, and it'll hit the broad side of a barn from the OUTSIDE, there is no compelling reason not to use it.

Mike

Old 11-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used mine a time or two and it always did good. The sights are very hard to see in low light though.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use to own a 91 that shot o.k. . the bore sizes ive been told are all over the map. maybe shoot before you buy?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly. You definitely need to slug the bore to tell exactly what size bullet you'll need. They're "OK" rifles at best.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

True. The Mosin Nagant was made to do one thing and one thong only, kill people, not deer! Unless you live in Russia and that's all you can scrounge up, then go ahead and use it. But I would use the cheapest deer rifle being produced today (fill in the blank on this one) before I'd use a Nagant.