Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 #4 buck and choke >

#4 buck and choke

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

#4 buck and choke

Old 11-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: #4 buck and choke

i do have a 22-250...but my area is fairly developed and just small woodlots and farm fields...yotes arent real active during the day...heck, ive only ever seen 1 in the daytime while hunting...though i know they are here...do plan to give daytime calling a shot...but we will see how it goes...dont know if i will use the 250 at night...i might up at school where i can setup on gaslines and get 200+yd SAFE shots..

i got alot of learning to do...alot of guys swore by #4buckshot...

heck, i will be pumped if i call anything in this year speaking of that...i should build my caller today...
Old 11-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: #4 buck and choke

ORIGINAL: Retaks

We always have used No.4 Turkey loads for fox and coyotes when hunting with shotguns. I knwo we are allowed to use buckshot but we know how are guns shoot with the turkey loads already so its easier to just use them.
I suggest trying the MOD choke first, on the theory that buckshot generally (but not always!!) patterns better from a moreopen choke. An improved-modified or even a cylinder bore might work even better. BUT, since #4 buck is pretty small, you might find that a tighter choke will be satisfactory. But I would not use a real tight tube to begin with anyway, for ANY size buckshot.