Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slug gun help needed!!! >

Slug gun help needed!!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug gun help needed!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Slug gun help needed!!!

ORIGINAL: New York Hunter

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I certainly could be wrong about this, but it is possible that the problem is due to over-torquing the barrel nut so that when the barrel gets hot, things expand and relax to the point that the barrel starts pointing somewhere else than it did when cold. Try it again with the barrel nut just hand-tight, and see what happens.

An alternative would be to let the barrel get completely cooled off before firing the next shot. This might be better anyway, since it is generally where the first shot from a cold, clean barrel goes that determines if you will be eating venison or tail feathers!
Actually eldeguello, you might be on to something. I posted this on a few different sites and someone else mentioned the same thing. I'm going to try it hand tight to see what happens.
[/align]
Let us know the results!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Will_C

My 11-87 12 gauge (set up the same as yours)would not shoot any high velocity well. I used the Lightfields for 10 years, and the Platunum Tips the last couple of years I had to shoot slugs. Luckily, I am in the Southern Tier and we can use rifles now. Good-bye to slugs!!!
Our hunting camp is in Cortland County. It's a few miles from Tioga Countywhich is rifle. I'd like to know what we need to do or who we need to talk to to see if we can get this changed. Once you get outside the City of Cortland (which is pretty small) Cortland County is as rural as it gets!
[/align]
I have a little farm place in southern Madison County, about 4 miles from DeRuyter, almost in Cortland county! Will probably move back there next summer, as Ihave a riufle range on the place. There are lot of places in Madison County where itr would be just as safe to use a rifle as a shotgun, due to the steep, hilly terrain. Lots of State Forest area to hunt in, too!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

My 11-87 12 gauge (set up the same as yours)would not shoot any high velocity well. I used the Lightfields for 10 years, and the Platunum Tips the last couple of years I had to shoot slugs. Luckily, I am in the Southern Tier and we can use rifles now. Good-bye to slugs!!!
Our hunting camp is in Cortland County. It's a few miles from Tioga Countywhich is rifle. I'd like to know what we need to do or who we need to talk to to see if we can get this changed. Once you get outside the City of Cortland (which is pretty small) Cortland County is as rural as it gets!

[/align]
I have a little farm place in southern Madison County, about 4 miles from DeRuyter, almost in Cortland county! Will probably move back there next summer, as Ihave a riufle range on the place. There are lot of places in Madison County where itr would be just as safe to use a rifle as a shotgun, due to the steep, hilly terrain. Lots of State Forest area to hunt in, too!
Ten years ago, before I got the job I have now,I drove truck. I used to drive through DeRuyter, Otselic, South Otselic, New Woodstock. Been through the whole area many times. I've never hunted down there but I do know a lot of guys that have. There are some bigfarm feeddeer down that way, that's for sure. That's a real nice area! [/align]
Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

[/align]
Ten years ago, before I got the job I have now,I drove truck. I used to drive through DeRuyter, Otselic, South Otselic, New Woodstock. Been through the whole area many times. I've never hunted down there but I do know a lot of guys that have. There are some bigfarm feeddeer down that way, that's for sure. That's a real nice area!
[/align]
Yes, the southern, hilly part of Madison County is very pretty. The northern part is flatter than a flapjack!!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 PM

I read the first page and this last page, sorry but I'm really don't feel like reading the two inbetween.

Let me share what I've found made a HUGE difference for me. (I'm from a no-rifle state, and it took me several years to learn these things.)

1. You've already got the barrel TIGHT, good!
2. You've already been told about letting the barrel cool, good!
3. As far as we know you gun was shooting fine for the first 2 or 3 shots? This can point to heat...but it can also point to a dirty barrel! I have a 12g 870 with a pre-1999 hastings cantilever barrel. I can usually get 3-5 good shots depending on what slugs I'm shooting before accuracy goes to CRAP, seemingly instantly!!! Now, I'm willing to admit it MIGHT be me. But what I do now is clean the barrel very well EVERY shot. (It's actually no more work than waiting every 3...I've tried it both ways) Whether it's the fact that the barrel has time to cool, or that fact that the barrel stays clean, or the fact I have enough rest between shots, I can now get my repeatable 4MOA accuracy for my 870. I'd like better...but 4MOA is a dead deer, and I often can get down to 3MOA.
4. You just HAVE to find what your particular gun likes. I've tried several dozen types of 22s in my ruger...and notice only small differences. I see huge differences in my slug gun. For whatever reason mine DOES not like the faster cor-lokt remingtons. I haven't tried the Hornadys. I don't feel a need to because I found it loves the either the Federal Hydrashocks or Barnes expanders. I shoots the buckhammers nearly as good and they make a .73 hole instead of .5 hole...so I keep them on hand as well for really close/thick stuff.

So, what I'm I trying to say? Try more ammo, and clean between EVERY shot. At least until you figure something that works for you and your gun.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 PM

I felt so much better about my gun this morning after reading this and now I feel even better. I just went to the range and I got something else to add to this. There was a guy there with a brand new Beretta Extrema2. He told me he was having a hard time finding a slug that would shoot out of it. He had tried Hornady SSt and Breneke Sabots. Both shot all over the place.

I told him I was looking at buying a gun like that. He offered to let me shoot it. I shot 2 Lightfields out of it and I put them both just left of the bull. I then gave him a box of Lightfields.
he shot 3 of them at 50 yards. They all hit left of the bull in the same hole. He then shot it 2 times at 100 yards (he did not adjust the scope for the left before he did this). They both hit
4 inches left, 6 inches low, and both right through the same hole. Obviously when he gets more slugs he can get the left out of it.

From what I have seen and read, these new high power slugs on the market are not shooting well for a lot of people. I think they are too light and too fast for most shotguns to handle.

That is my .02. I am sticking with Lightfields.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Fork Horn

Two things.....

The high velocity sabots are designed for barrels that have at least a 1x28 twist

Most shotguns (with the exception of the high end guns like Benelli) have a 1x36 twist and its my experience that they do not group exceptionally well no matter what sabots you shoot, and even if you're lucky enough to get them to shoot groups, they are still somewhat inconsistent.