Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 22-250 for deer hunting >

22-250 for deer hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22-250 for deer hunting

Old 12-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22-250 for deer hunting

I was thinking about shooting a doe with mine this year... The shot would be around 150 yards in a open field... I will definetly try it out...
Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

If someone is shooting at me rest assured I'm not going to be satisfied with incapacitating him.The military lingo perhaps was developed to make [killing]wounding more socially acceptable.Never heard of a soldier trying to wound the enemy.............A war tool is for killing..............Harold

But alas with a FMJ as per the Geneva convention it will wound more then kill . Like another poster said the intent is to take a few people out with one shot. The guy dragging or 2 guys dragging him to safety.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

The .224 Cal and FMJ bullet's are very remarkable. I have experimented for years with them in the .223 and the 22-250. Both are fully capable of killing deer effeicently. Now, for the use of FMJ bullets. If you have ever tried them, you will find that they do not react the same way consistantly. Meaning that sometimes in a given situation, they will leave a tremendous wound channel and exit wound , other times they just punch a small hole with minimal damage. However, if the bullet strikes in the vital area of the body the animal will die shortly. There is asignificant difference in the kinetic energy transfer between the .224 cal and larger calibers. Ultimately, it is the hunters choice to pick the weapon and caliber he/she feels appropiate to ethically harvest an animal. So, with all that said go enjoy the hunt.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Friend of mine calls me up yesterday and tells me he killed a doe and says he shot it with his 22-250... Shot was around 60 yards and he said he shot the deer right behind the shoulder and dropped it in it's tracks... He said it really tore up the inside thoe!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: driftrider

I, personally, am of the belief that all .224cal cartridges are inadequate for deer sized game. Can they kill a deer? Yes, they can and they have. But just because something can be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be. I'd wager that for every deer successfully recovered after being shot with a .224cal rifle, there are several that have been wounded or unrecovered. The problem is that you won't hear about those because most people who have done it won't admit it. I'd say recommend the .243. It's enough gun, won't beat up young or female shooters, and doubles as an excellent varmint cartridge.

Mike
Oh dear lord...I was gonna stay out of this post until I read this nonsense.

How in the world can you spout off this crap?

I'm not going to debate this any longer. My opinion on this subject has been well established. I just wanted to let driftrider know that he is full of it for posting this rediculous statement.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

A 22-250 has got speed, but its a little light for deer, unless you role your own. The 220 swift you can kill deer with but if you dont have the right kind of bullets, you have to head shot them. Aand unlees your swift is almost dead on, you are gonna miss a lot. I would try and use something a little bigger. A .243 is a great gun for deer, but as little light for larger big game animals like elk. Try and see if he roles his own for the 22-250 and tell him its not recommended for the swift. But something like a .243 or bigger will work great.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I suppose I will stir the pot a little more. In my previous post I never stated wheither I was supporting or against the use of small caliber rifles to deer hunt. So, I might as well state my opinion and my opinion only. Don't knock it until you try it. I have used a model 7 Remington in .223 REM to deer hunt and I found it to be a very efficient Caliber. People have a tendency to believe everything they hear and/or read. That doesn't necessarily make it the truth. Wtiters, who write articles for gun magazines write to get the consumer, namely hunters in this case to buy the newest, hotest and fastest caliber on the market. Remember they are getting paid to write and to influence your opinions. That being said, it is very difficult to believe that people will believe that the .223 or the .22-250 are incapable of efficently taking deer sized game when they will advocate bow hunting. Now, someone will want to talk ballistics, Sectional Densities and Ballistic Coeffients. Ok, compare your compound bow to the .223 or the .22-250. I am also a bowhunter, so don't think I am degrading archers. I personally think there is nothing wrong with the .223 or .22-250. I have used both and I like them equally. Now the subject of FMJ, they are the deadliest bullet arround. I know someone will disagree, however past experience tells me other wise. Try this, load some FMJ's in the .22-250 and run them out of the muzzle at 3600 fps and shoot a deer behind the shoulder at 100 to 200 yards and I think you might be impressed. The fact is the average hunter can not tolerate recoil well. Why carry a .300 Win Mag and not be able to shoot it well. With any hunting rifle it is more about bullet placement and making a clean ethical kill. Like I stated previously you have to make the choice as to which caliber you think is the correct one for your use, but please don't knock someone else for there choice. This is only my opion and evreybody has one. Happy Hunting!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM

my sister with her first buck, first day in Pa. . shot with a 22-250 at 30 yards. he ran less then 100 yards. no exit hole. i reload 60 grain sierra soft points for it. this is her 4th deer with this gun. i was sitting right beside her when she shot, i did tell her she needs a little bit bigger gun because of mornings like this, rain and lots of other people close by. it works, but a little bigger caliber wouldn't hurt.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:54 PM

I'd personally consider a .243 to be the bottom end of the line for whitetails....but I know of one man that lives nearby that hunts with a M1 carbine, the .30, and his daughter hunts with a .22 Hornet....both keep their shots inside 50 yards, and both get a deer. I've had to help them track a few but we've always found them.

I'd second the .224 TTH though, that's a mean little cartridge. Not sure if anyone plans to produce a rifle in the caliber but I'll be buying if they do.

And as far as using FMJ's ina .223 on whitetails....[:'(].....just not smart. I've seen coyotes shot with that round in FMJ and never been seen again. I'm not sure if you're aware that the FMJ is not expanding or delivering much of it's energy inside the animal...just punching a hole smaller than a quarter inch in one side and out the other.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Every one I have ever shot expired promptly.

Quick Reply: 22-250 for deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.