Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 22-250 for deer hunting >

22-250 for deer hunting

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22-250 for deer hunting

Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22-250 for deer hunting

That's because of 2 things-#1 I never was a fan of using a groundhog rifle cartridge in combat in first place. #2-The animal deserves RESPECT-if I'm shooting at a human,trying to kill him,it seems to me he don't deserve respect anyway.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

a 22-250 is actually more efficient on deer at longer distances, not shorter.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

If someone is shooting at me rest assured I'm not going to be satisfied with incapacitating him.The military lingo perhaps was developed to make [killing]wounding more socially acceptable.Never heard of a soldier trying to wound the enemy.............A war tool is for killing..............Harold
Old 11-30-2007, 12:11 AM

In Louisiana 22 centerfire is minimum for deer. I know a few people who have killed deer with 223 and 22-250. I also know people who "don't miss" and haven't been able to find deer after shooting with these rounds. My opinion: too small. 243 or bigger. No sense in using a round that may not give optimal performance on deer size game.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:03 AM
c j
Typical Buck

22-250 is too small, IMO. Yes, it *can* kill a deer. Yes, it *has* killed deer. Same with the .223. But I know people who've lost deer to them, too. And I've taken deer with a .220 swift, although I don't plan on ever doing it again, nor do I recommend it to anyone else, even though the deer I shot with it were bang-flops, dead on the spot.

IMO, the .22 rounds just don't leave any room for error. But who generally uses them? The younger,less experienced (i.e. lessproficient) hunters/riflemenwho want to start out with a smaller cartridge.

I feel we owe it to the game to use the best choice available. I just don't think the .22s are it.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:04 AM

The 5.56mm round was chosen because it was lighter, cheaper and had more range than the current .30 cal ammunition.

As much as you want to think killing the enemy is the point, it is not. Achieving the military goal is. Out of commission is out of commission whether dead or not. Wiping out the enemy is not usually the goal, getting them to fall back or surrender is.

If in war we were worried about clean kills no one would be using ball and FMJ ammo in rifles that have better cycle rates than they do accuracy (AK). We would be using more accurate platforms with better sights and ammo that was designed to make cleaner kills.

You can never really compare military weapons and ammo to hunting and self defense situations. They are to completely different beasts.

Look at what a sniper uses when he goes to intentionally kill something. He basically uses hunting equipment, not combat weaponry.

My take on it anyway.

If you can kill a deer with a cap and ball musket, a .410 shotgun, a handgun or a bow I am pretty sure a high powered rifle will get the job done if you put the bullet in the right place. I think we tend to over think things too much sometimes.

Paul
Old 11-30-2007, 07:19 AM

First consideration would be if they were legal calibers in Winnepeg.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your going to use a 22 for deer hunting and it is legal in your area then use the right 22... 224 TTH, friend of mine had one built last year and my gunsmith has built a ton of them...They drop deer in their tracks and are very versatile and very flat shooting.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

If someone is shooting at me rest assured I'm not going to be satisfied with incapacitating him.The military lingo perhaps was developed to make [killing]wounding more socially acceptable.Never heard of a soldier trying to wound the enemy.............A war tool is for killing..............Harold
Why do you think most States do notAllow FMJ's for hunting?????
Old 11-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Spike

I've read the responses...my opinion is I cannot support the 22-250 or similar cartridges for deer hunting..

someone hear mentioned the INUIT hunting in N CANADA.

I sell them guns, and hear there stories. They have no problem with wounding deer, and having to shoot them again and again.

Someone from that area bought a 50 count of 22 cal rimfire shells to hunt caribou with. Apparently there are no laws up there.

Quick Reply: 22-250 for deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.