Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Westerners; what magnification for deer and elk? >

Westerners; what magnification for deer and elk?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Westerners; what magnification for deer and elk?

Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Westerners; what magnification for deer and elk?

I am thinking a 3-10 power scope. What do you all think isyour favoritepower to go with on a 40mm scope.

I was thinking either the 3-10 or the 6-18, but not very often have I needed more than 10 power and besides I'll gather more light with a bit less power.

Give me your thoughts.

thanks
Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Westerners; what magnification for deer and elk?

I use 3x10x42 swarovski scopes on my big game rifles,and they work great at all ranges out to 500 yards.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM

I like the 3-9 or the 2-10 by 40 or 44 mm
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Spike

No doubt,over the many yearsI've hunted in MT and WY,I'veused a fixed 4 power scope more than any other. However, all my rifles now have variable, just because they are now extremely trustworthy and usefull under more field conditions. All of my rifles(except the varmite rifles) are now topped with 3-9 variable scopes.

While Western hunting can require you to shoot at distance, I think you will be surprised at how often you will need quick acquistion at short range. This situation requires minimalmagnification and large field of view.In my experience, this is especially true on elk. Looking back at the elk we have shot in MT over the years, most have been in the black timber where a scope with2-4X low-end magnification would be plenty.

Deer and antelopehunting in Eastern MT will likely put you in a situation where longer shots are required, given the open country and the nature of the animals. Here, a scope with 8-14X top-end magnification would be useful.

In general a 3-9 variable is ideal. Go with quality optics with high resolution and abulletpoint-of-impact that doesn't shift with magnification changes, and you'll be set.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

I went with the Burris Euro-Diamand 2.5x10x44mm with Ballistic Plex retical. That way I can crank it 2.5x for hunting elk in thick timber and betwen 6x to 8x for open country mule deer.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

3-10 x 40-42 is as good as it gets
Old 11-09-2007, 05:22 PM

Thanks for all the info so far.

It seems like you guys are validating my 3-10 preference. I forgot about the dark timber and the close range opportunities that often arise. I just had 800 yard capability on my mind. I think I'll end up with a 3-10. By the way this scope will be going on top a Rem 700 Sendero chambered for a .270.

Thanks for all the advice.

If anyone else has anything to add, don't be shy.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

The low end should be 3 power or lower if youcan get it in the scope you wnatforquickshooting.......and the top end in a 40-42mm objectiveshould be no more than 10 power for good light transmission.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used 4.5x-14 leupold scopes and 4x-16x weaver/nikon and cannot see how they can be beat for versatility. The low end of 4x is plenty low for close shots and the middle or top end is perfect for long range precision shooting.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

800 yards?!

Having hunted elk and deer in WY for 30+ years, I've never found myself wanting more glass. To the contrary, I've often found myself wanting less.

My favorite combo is a 1.5-5x for elk, and a 3-9x for deer and antelope.

Seriously guys, I don't know where you're finding these long ranges to shoot animals at? Last elk I shot at less than 50 yards, the last deer at 150, and the last antelope at 100. The rest of the time, there's always either too much timber in the way or too much wind inbetween to reliably and responsiblykill something that far away.

Quick Reply: Westerners; what magnification for deer and elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.