Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm mag?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 7mm mag?

I'm considering getting a 7mm mag to hunt elk, deer, hog, and possibly Moose with. I am looking for a caliber that is a do it all North American type caliber capable of shooting out to 300 yards.

Now, is there a particular brand i.e. Remington, Savage, Weatherby i.e. one brand better than any other?

Lastly, is there another caliber I should consider i.e. 300 weatherby, 7mm ultra mag, 30-06 & why??? Thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7mm mag?

The most common 7mmmag is the 7mmremmag.It is chambered in a wide variety of rifles from many manufacturers,and ammunition is readily available in most locations.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm rem mag is capable of handling everything in NA with the exception of the big bears. Bullet selection is excellent due to popularity and allows one to tailor loads to the species/situation. I have used the7mm rem mag to shoot antelope to moose and have never felt undergunned.300 yards is within the rem mags capability. I have absolutley no problems with the right conditions taking long shots with mine, I have taken a few animals past 400 cleanily with single shots. Ie; last year's mulie buckwas LRF'd at 417yards and a single shot put him on the ground near immediately, passedthru theopposite shoulder.

That said nothing wrong with a 300 wm, wsm, 3006, etc. Boils down to getting what you want and then puuting right bullet in the right place!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

I'm considering getting a 7mm mag to hunt elk, deer, hog, and possibly Moose with. I am looking for a caliber that is a do it all North American type caliber capable of shooting out to 300 yards.

Now, is there a particular brand i.e. Remington, Savage, Weatherby i.e. one brand better than any other?

Lastly, is there another caliber I should consider i.e. 300 weatherby, 7mm ultra mag, 30-06 & why??? Thanks
Every cartridge you mention will do what you're looking for. So, too, would .270, .308, .338 Win Mag, and dozens of others. You couldtry to selectone by:
1) Recoil
2) Muzzle Blast
3)Is the rifle you like best chambered for that cartridge?
4)Ammo availability
5) Ammo Cost

When trying to find a cartridge for "all around" use, most people seem to end up with a 7mm Rem Mag, a .270, a .30-'06, or a .308. They match those 5 criteria pretty well. Choosing between those 4 cartridges, though, comes down to nothing more than personal preference: in the field, they're nearly indistinguishable. If one cartridge makes you feel more confident in the field, then, by all means, buy it!

If you have a chance at the gun range to borrow someone's rifle & fire a few rounds of one or the other, give it a go, and see which ones "speaks" to you.

In an effort to curtail any tendency for this thread to get unwieldy, I'd suggest you read this little treatise: http://www.chuckhawks.com/all_around_cartridges.htm

Also, if you see the thread become hijacked with those seeking to prove that "my cartridge can beat up your cartridge!", then I'd suggest THIS thread: http://www.chuckhawks.com/caliber_worship.htm

As for rifle brands - they all work, & they've all got fans. A company doesn't get fans by being schumcks. Hold many dozens of rifles, & see which one chooses you.

Good Luck!

FC

Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Every cartridge you mention will do what you're looking for. So, too, would .270, .308, .338 Win Mag, and dozens of others. You couldtry to selectone by:
1) Recoil
2) Muzzle Blast
3)Is the rifle you like best chambered for that cartridge?
4)Ammo availability
5) Ammo Cost

When trying to find a cartridge for "all around" use, most people seem to end up with a 7mm Rem Mag, a .270, a .30-'06, or a .308. They match those 5 criteria pretty well. Choosing between those 4 cartridges, though, comes down to nothing more than personal preference: in the field, they're nearly indistinguishable. If one cartridge makes you feel more confident in the field, then, by all means, buy it!

If you have a chance at the gun range to borrow someone's rifle & fire a few rounds of one or the other, give it a go, and see which ones "speaks" to you.

In an effort to curtail any tendency for this thread to get unwieldy, I'd suggest you read this little treatise: http://www.chuckhawks.com/all_around_cartridges.htm

Also, if you see the thread become hijacked with those seeking to prove that "my cartridge can beat up your cartridge!", then I'd suggest THIS thread: http://www.chuckhawks.com/caliber_worship.htm

As for rifle brands - they all work, & they've all got fans. A company doesn't get fans by being schumcks. Hold many dozens of rifles, & see which one chooses you.

Good Luck!

FC
Great articles!!!! I have decided on going with the 7mm remington mag I think it fits my need. Thanks a lot!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think either 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag will do anything ya want em to as well as the "new crop". It's all a matter of learning your particular rifle like a lover. somewhere it was said to beware the 1 rifle man-as he likely knows how to use it very well. I would lean more toward the 300 win mag just because of available weight/design of bullets.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I think either 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag will do anything ya want em to as well as the "new crop". It's all a matter of learning your particular rifle like a lover. somewhere it was said to beware the 1 rifle man-as he likely knows how to use it very well. I would lean more toward the 300 win mag just because of available weight/design of bullets.
I like the 300 win mag, but I thought it might be too much for whitetail.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's a bit much for them as well but LOTS of people use the 300 on whitetail. I was looking at the also elk,moose,etc that you mentioned.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM

Let's just say my next rifle will be an all purpose rifle and will be the 7mm mag.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 AM

Seriously consider the .300 win mag. It is superb at long range shooting which most see when hunting big game in north america, out to 1,000 yrds in shooting contests. If you are looking for an all-around North America gun the .300 win mag is perfect. It is a 30 cal so their are endless amounts of bullet types and weights, and plus it is a magnum. in 180 grain-- M.V.(3000) M.E. (3600) 300 yrd. energy (2465) 300 yd tragectory (-6.4 inch). The balistics are unbeatable on this round, i use it for deer, elk, bear, cougar, moose etc all in 180 grain except deer, i use 150 grain. In the end, you cannot go wrong with the .300 win mag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.