Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is there a "good cheap" bolt .22 rifle? >

Is there a "good cheap" bolt .22 rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is there a "good cheap" bolt .22 rifle?

Old 11-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is there a "good cheap" bolt .22 rifle?

I am looking for a good .22 bolt rifle to buy.By good I am looking for something that iscapable of shooting 1/2" groups at 50 yards, and by cheap not so expensive I will break the bank. I am leaning towards a CZ-452, but was wondering if the Savage .22 bolt was any good or if there are any others that people know of I should look at? I really like the trigger on the CZ (I go to test it at the gun shop) and I understand they are very accurate.

Thanks,
CB
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Is there a "good cheap" bolt .22 rifle?

I like my Savage Mark II.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that Marlin makes several variations of one. I have never shot one, but I do have thier stainless tube fed one and it shoots about 1" groups at 50 yards, which I think is excellet for it only being topped with a cheap Simmons scope that is so blurry you are lucky to see the bullseye at 50 yards let alone hit it lol. Anyhow, it may be worth checking into. Another thing to consider is trying to find an old Winchester bolt action single shot rifle if you want accurate. My old single shot with just old fashioned open sights will group about an inch at 50 yards if I do my part. I love to take it out when the kids are shooting thier 22's with scopes and still beat them at horse with my single shot 70 year old rifle lol.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Marlin is a very good choice. Good price and quality, very accurate as a rule.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

No exp wth the CZ's myself but have heardgood things about them. I caould go along with the tohers and reccommend the savage. Got one of the Mako models last year and it's definately a great shooter. fantastic trigger also. I also know some that shoot the marlins and have good accuracy. With any .22lr especially, you may need to try a few different ammo types/rands and see which your rifle prefers and shoot best.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Is there a "good cheap" bolt .22 rifle?"

No. No GOOD rifle is "cheap". Particularly not one that will shoot 0.5" groups at 50 yards! But you might be able to pick up such a rifle USED off of one of the auction sites. One real "sleeper" I've found is the Mossberg target rifle. They ARE accurate!

I revise my answer: IF you conbsider a CZ cheap, then YES, if you are willing to pay that much, you CAN find an accurate one!

Schultz & Larsen rifles are superb!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-03-2007, 12:30 PM

All modern American Made rimfire rifles will hold a 1/2 MOA at 50 yards - right out of the box.

My friends recieved Marlin .22's - Glenfields - that were sold at KMART for $49 back in the 70's that would hit a dime at 50 yards religiously.

30 years later, they still have the same accuracy as they did the day they were brand new.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

I revise my answer: IF you conbsider a CZ cheap, then YES, if you are willing to pay that much, you CAN find an accurate one!

Schultz & Larsen rifles are superb!
I believe I can find a CZ for about 440 while I don't think it is really cheap it is cheaper than many of the sporter .22s on the market. But I am really hoping to find something under $300. I will look into the Savages and the Schultz & Larsen. I had never heard of the Schultz & Larsen.

CMA3366A that S&L looks very nice. I wish I had a Gander Mountain here in FL. )-:

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Can anyone tell me how the good is the Savage Trigger? I went to Dicks to look at the savage. Very nice looking gun, but you cannot dry fire them there. )-: So I cannot get a feel for how good the savage triggers are. I figure if I have to replace the trigger I am better off to get the CZ. But if the savage trigger is good and can be easily worked on I will get the savage. Does anyone know?

Cheers,
Chris

Quick Reply: Is there a "good cheap" bolt .22 rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.