Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Someone please help me! >

Someone please help me!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Someone please help me!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Someone please help me!

I am completely new at hunting but i know that i really want to try it out. I love the outdoors and like any other guy I love guns. I have never shot a real gun before and i believe it is killing me inside. I want to go out with my friends soon and hunt with them but I dont have a rifle. We will most likely be hunting deer or various small game. My friends arent much help in the gun department because they just use their dad's or uncle's rifles. I am looking for something that isnt too expensive since i am a beginner but that will do the job nicely. A good, sturdy, accurate rifle or shot gun or w/e you guys would care to suggest. Thanks to all of you.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 PM

Default RE: Someone please help me!

ORIGINAL: ConfusedGuy

I am completely new at hunting but i know that i really want to try it out. I love the outdoors and like any other guy I love guns. I have never shot a real gun before and i believe it is killing me inside. I want to go out with my friends soon and hunt with them but I dont have a rifle. We will most likely be hunting deer or various small game. My friends arent much help in the gun department because they just use their dad's or uncle's rifles. I am looking for something that isnt too expensive since i am a beginner but that will do the job nicely. A good, sturdy, accurate rifle or shot gun or w/e you guys would care to suggest. Thanks to all of you.
glad to hear you want to get into hunting. for a beginner who has never shot a gun before, i would suggest finding some one who has a small caliber rifle like a .22lr or .17mach2. get used to actually shooting a real gun and practice shooting some targets. once you feel you are comfortable with that, step it up to a 223 rem. that is an awesome round for small game and can also kill deer (make sure it is legal to hunt deer with a 223 in your state). now for a rifle, check out the stevens model 200. i personally don't have one but it's cheap and is accurate. i used to have a savage, which makes stevens, and the stevens model 200 is basically a savage with out the accutrigger. then top off the rifle with a $150-200 scope like a nikon monarch or a leupold vx-I. then you are ready to have fun.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 PM

Thank you for your help. I am going to be shooting soon with my friend and his uncle so i will get the hang of actually firing a gun. I know it is a big deal and shouldnt be taken lightly when shooting. I will check those guns out also so thank you.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:05 AM
DM

I don't think there's a more fun gun then a 22 lr... It's cheap to shoot, and will teach you everything you need to know to become an excellent rifle shot. It's also a very good small game gun...

That "cheap to shoot" part is very good, as the more you practise the better you will get...

Going with someone expierenced to start with is an excellent idea too, as they can help you to learn to hold the gun properly and how to properly use the sights ect...

As for the .223, personally i think it's too light for deer sized animials, there's a reason it's banned for deer in most states...

DM
Old 11-02-2007, 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: DM

I don't think there's a more fun gun then a 22 lr... It's cheap to shoot, and will teach you everything you need to know to become an excellent rifle shot. It's also a very good small game gun...

That "cheap to shoot" part is very good, as the more you practise the better you will get...

Going with someone expierenced to start with is an excellent idea too, as they can help you to learn to hold the gun properly and how to properly use the sights ect...

As for the .223, personally i think it's too light for deer sized animials, there's a reason it's banned for deer in most states...

DM
with the 22lr, you can buy 500 rounds for $10. that's pretty cheap if you ask me. what DM said is true, the 223 is banned in a lot of states but here in Texas it is not. probably a good starter centerfire cartridge would be the .243 win. it is an excellent round for both deer sized game and varmits. plus the ammo is cheap and easy to find.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:40 AM

An in-expensive 22lr rifle will out last you and your off spring, and bring countless hours of shooting enjoyment for generations.

A mild recoiling cartridge might be best for first center-fire rifle. Cartridges like the 243win., and 7mm-08 have killed deer beyond number, and offer outstanding accuracy in a bolt action repeating riflewith modest recoil.

early
Old 11-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the boards, ConfusedGuy!

Go get yourself a .22LR (semi-auto bolt or lever action doesn't matter, whatever you like) and a couple bricks of ammo. Then go shoot it until your fingers are too sore to load the magazines. Then shoot it some more. Concentrate on aiming, breathing and trigger control (remember to SQUEEEEEEEEEZE! the trigger). Shoot off the bench until you get it sighted in, then practice shooting offhand (standing), sitting, kneeling and prone, supported and unsupported. When you get to the point where you can hit a 4" circle at 50 yards almost all the time from the offhand, you're probably ready to step up to a CF rifle. If you rush out and get a CF rifle right off the bat you're probably going to wind up being a poor shot when you get out into the woods. Why? Because you'll probably not have shot very many rounds both due to cost (CF ammo in hunting cartridges is not cheap) and recoil tolerance. And if you do have the cash for plenty of ammo, the recoil and muzzleblast of a CF rifle will probably cause you to develope a flinch, which you probably won't be able to notice because of the recoil and muzzleblast (sucks how that works, huh?). The .22 recoils so little and is quiet enough (hearing protection still MANDATORY, though!!) that you can really concentrate on learning how to shoot right and if you are doing something wrong, it'll be a lot easier to identify.

So the best recommendation I can make is to work your way up slowly. You gotta learn to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

Once you're ready to step up, I'd strongly suggest you don't over-do it. A lot of guys, especially new shooters, think that they just gotta have the biggest, fastest magnum they can lay their hands on 'cause all their buddies do, but that is not only untrue, but also somewhat foolish. To start out for your first CF rifle, I'd recommend the .243 Winchester, .25-06 Remington or at most the 7mm-08. All three are time proven deer cartridges out to all practical and realistic ranges (250 yards, more for the .25-06), and won't kill your shoulder or wallet. Remember, shot placement is far more critical than firepower, so your best bet is to learn to shoot well. A deer shot in the boilerroom with a .243 will go down a lot faster than a gutshot from a .300 Rem Ultra Mag, if you ever find the gutshot deer all.

Good luck and feel free to ask about anything on your mind.

Mike
Old 11-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

get the most expensive one you can find, thats what i did, and no matter how much i miss, my friends all hate me cuz i have the best gun, go for it man.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 PM

I have a Ruger 10/22 that i would posably sell to you for $160 plus shiping and handling Wich is around $30.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 PM

I am glad to hear that you are interested in shooting and hunting. There are so many positives that these sports can bring to your life, I could never list them all.

I would suggest that you get yourself some good training first.

Not knowing what kind of gun you want tells a little about where you are. You might buy a car before you learn to drive, or buy a computer before you ever learn to operate, but would it be a good purchase? Would you know what options you want or need?

Be careful about learning from your friends, though there are many knowledgeable young people, there is no substitute for experience.

No joke, go to a hunter safety course first. It will give you not only hunting information but gun safety, and to get a hunting license in most states you will have to have it anyway. Then look into what NRA has to offer inyour area.Go to a shooting range,watch the shooters, ask question, you will be surprised at just how much information and help experienced shooters will be willing to share.

By the way where are you located, people on this forum in your area might help.

Worry about your first gun later, I don't want to sound like somebodies mother, butproperly trained people don't accidently kill other people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.