Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help Me Choose a Caliber >

Help Me Choose a Caliber

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help Me Choose a Caliber

Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help Me Choose a Caliber

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Anytime I speak or reccomend something,it's directly from 1st hand experience. I have vast experience with 7mm08,none with .260 rem. Since I had already have lots of experience with 7mm08 before the 260 rem came out,it ain't broke,and I ain't gunna fix it. Another thing to remember is my all time 2 out of 3 favorite deer size cartridges are dying (.280,and .284), I also see a whole bunch of newer cartridges sinking in future. Think it can't happen? Try to buy 5mm rem ammo. As good as it was/is,rem dropped it.
You are right on here. The 260 and the 7-08 are so close to each other that you have to really look hard to find any difference at all. I have been shooting the 6.5's for a while. I was only pointing out that the 6.5's tend to have a "SLIGHT" advantage with higher BC's. IMO this slight advantage is why the long range shooter's are going to the 6.5's in droves(basically because of the higher BC's, and less recoil.

As you said if one of these two cartridges fell off the face of the earth there would probably be little notice. Along with a lot of the so called other new caliber's. However I believe what will determine what cartridges will go away will be due more to advertising dollars, and not true performance. Tom.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:47 AM

I feel the same way about 1st hand experience .... 16 years of the 7mm-08. I love that little gun. I had looked into getting a .260 not long ago, and it may be one of those that will be saying goodbye soon if there is not more consumer interest in it to keep it alive. But I can guarantee the 7mm-08 to still be around. Also , on available ammo , you will find 7mm-08 ammo easier than .260 ammo.

And, the only reason I mentioned the 30.06 or the .308 with managed recoil ammo was to directly meet a need. It will be more comfortable and thus accuracy will improve, and he can shoot full loads if he ever wanted to or needed to in going after bigger game. Or if he gave the gun to his son, he would get a gun that in a .308 or 30.06 that could do it all. Dad may have a 30.06 and not need another 30 cal. round, but what will son have? And his son could shoot it right out of the box with managed recoil and be effective to 225 yards, without taking a beating. Then step up after he grows some and gets older.
I still like this idea, but it isn't the right path for everyone ..... It is a good alternative though. And You don't have to get another 30.06 , since you have one, but you can go get a short, light, great handling gun like a Model 7 - .308, and use managed recoil and have a wonderful hunting gun.... And if you wonder about how it works, since you already have a 30.06, go buy a box of managed recoil ammo and try it in your gun. See what you think.

But it was just a suggestion. I have 2 sons and a daughter ( ages 9 - 13 ). They all shoot some of my guns, and they handle my Ruger M77 compact .243 Stainless / laminate - 16.5 " barrell well, but I have already decided that I will be getting them a .308 or 30.06 with managed recoil as the next purchase for them. Having tried it for the wife, I know it is a great in her 30.06, and I could shoot it all day long and not need a chiropractor afterwards.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth..... If my opinion is even worth that much...

BTW.... If I still wanted a light recoiling round for the child, look into a break action .243 single shot.You can get one for about $ 175.00 new. I bought one for my kids to learn on. It is safe, very light recoil, and very accurate. Then you can get a good, larger caliber,bolt gun as he gets older. Plus it lets you own more guns .... and a guy can never have too many can he?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad we're all basically saying the same thing in different way,and agreeing at it also. Too many people get wrapped up into certain things (brand/caliber,etc)INCLUDING ME,and wind up arguing.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I'm glad we're all basically saying the same thing in different way,and agreeing at it also. Too many people get wrapped up into certain things (brand/caliber,etc)INCLUDING ME,and wind up arguing.
It is rather nice to have a discussion, and carry on a conversation about a topic without feeling kicked in the teeth. Everyone can and does have an opinion ..... but we don't have to get mad when others may disagree.... and I for one am not always right ... most of the time maybe, but not ALL the time.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 PM

.25-06
Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 PM

25-06

With the recoil issue though, the .243 would be my #1 choice
Old 11-11-2007, 10:14 PM

I can vouch for the 7mm-08 recoil. I bought my 10yr. old one (after reccomendations off this sight) and he can shoot box after box of the factory 140's and not complain abit.I think it only weighs 6.25 lbs.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:06 AM

308 nuff said. I think the 270 is over rated. the 308 rem vls i have has done what the 270's at 300 yards.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

another vote for the 7mm-08. I think this caliber is almost perfect for N.American game. I hunted with a 30.06 for a number of years. Still love the old 06, but the 7mm-08 is now my favorite. I can find 7mm-08 ammo at walmart. it's becoming more popular now than it ever was.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:09 PM

30-06 or 308 both good calibers and plenty of ammo available

Quick Reply: Help Me Choose a Caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.