Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Surprise B-Day Gift!! >

Surprise B-Day Gift!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Surprise B-Day Gift!!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Surprise B-Day Gift!!

Good deal Matt. happy birthday.
Make sure you let Grandpa know just how much you appreciate it.
Now go out and getone with that new gun
Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not the type of rifle that matters, it's that it came from your grandpa that really counts. You're lucky to have a grandfather like that. I never knew my maternal grandfather (died when my Mom was 14, but from what I hear about him, I wish I had) and the other never really cared whether I (or my brother or sister, for that matter[:@]) existed. I'd suggest that, if your grandpa is up to it, you suggest a grandfather/grandson hunting trip together and take that rifle with you. As a father myself (of two young kids), I can say that just thinking about that possible future makes me very happy.

Mike
Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 PM

Amen, take the gun and Grampa hunting. That might be why he bought it for you, the hopeof spending more time with you.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Agreed! Take the gun and grandpa hunting. I wish I could've had more time with mine. Cherish it.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: driftrider

It's not the type of rifle that matters, it's that it came from your grandpa that really counts. You're lucky to have a grandfather like that. I never knew my maternal grandfather (died when my Mom was 14, but from what I hear about him, I wish I had) and the other never really cared whether I (or my brother or sister, for that matter[:@]) existed. I'd suggest that, if your grandpa is up to it, you suggest a grandfather/grandson hunting trip together and take that rifle with you. As a father myself (of two young kids), I can say that just thinking about that possible future makes me very happy.

Mike
+3! This rifle is probably already your favorite, if only because of how it came to you. I remember going with my Dad to pick out a Remington 788 in .243 Win. I was 11 years old, and on top of the World! And I remember how we were together when we used that gun to take my 1st (and biggest!) whitetail buck with it.

I have other guns now, and if I were to do it all over again for my son, I'd go with a model 700 vs. the 788, and I'd probably go with 7mm-08 or .25-'06 vs. the .243. But that rifle will NEVER leave my possession... unless it's the one I hand to my 12 year old.

Arifle will always be outweighed by the memoriesmade with it. Take Grandpa hunting while you've got him, & make some great ones!

All the best,

FC