HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Remington SPS (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/214864-remington-sps.html)

dh4stretch3 10-29-2007 07:29 PM

Remington SPS

Hey guys. Lookin at the Remington 700 SPS stainless in 300 win mag. What do you guys think of the gun, caliber, recoil, etc etc.

Here's what I'm lookin for:
Deer hunting-whitetails mostly, use it for my dream Mulie in Arizona eventually
Maybe elk....maybe
Shots anywhere from 50-300 yards
Occasionaly for Sheets and Giggles take long shots on the range out to 600+

So whatcha think? Good hunting + long range caliber? How's the recoil compared to... oh say a 30-06 or 12 gauge shotgun? Effective, cushy recoil pad come on the gun or do I get a Limbsaver? Oh, and what grain bullets you think for deer? I see a lot of 180 grainers in bunch of manufacturers? Seems to me to be standard, agreed??

Thanks
Stretch

savagescout 10-29-2007 08:03 PM

RE: Remington SPS

I really like my sps it already comes with a quality recoil pad that will be nice to have on a 300 win mag. And Remington triggers are easily adjusted. I didn't know they came in SS sounds like a great gun.

zeus50 10-30-2007 06:40 AM

I have the sps .270 and love it! Recoil bad is fine for the .270 not sure how it will be for the .300. I got the trigger reworked to under 3lbs. Shoots great. .270 will kill everything you want. That being said, my next gun will probably be the .300win mag :)

Z

RugerM77.270 10-30-2007 08:31 AM

I think the 300 is a lot of gun (ease up its just my two cents) I personally would go for the 30-06 it will do all the same things and not as much damage on game or your shoulder. I have just heard of deer with entire shoulders blown off and hunters developing flinches from recoil. But if you can handle it go for it you won't be disappointed.

VAhuntr 10-30-2007 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: RugerM77.270

I think the 300 is a lot of gun (ease up its just my two cents) I personally would go for the 30-06 it will do all the same things and not as much damage on game or your shoulder. I have just heard of deer with entire shoulders blown off and hunters developing flinches from recoil. But if you can handle it go for it you won't be disappointed.

I agree with you that the 300 WM may have a little more recoil and can make some people flinch but it really won't do any more damage to game than a .30-06. If you don't want to damage the shoulder, don't put the crosshairs on the shoulder to start with. I know from experience that the .30-06 can and will make a mess of a deer's shoulder, if that is where you aim.

Gangly 10-30-2007 11:15 AM

I have the SPS Stainless in .30-06 and I love it. The action also has a coating on it that the base SPS doesnt have so it helps to protect against potential corrosion. The R3 is a nice pad, not the best, but very nice in my opion (and we all know what opions are like:D ). I havent had time to mess with handloadsbut shooting Winchester 150 grain ballistic tips put the shots a little over an inch, and 180's right at an inch. The rifle would prolly do better in somebody elses hands though becauseI mayhave shot maybe3 boxes of rounds through it in the past year.

68charger_guy 10-31-2007 12:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Gangly

I have the SPS Stainless in .30-06 and I love it. The action also has a coating on it that the base SPS doesnt have so it helps to protect against potential corrosion. The R3 is a nice pad, not the best, but very nice in my opion (and we all know what opions are like:D ). I havent had time to mess with handloadsbut shooting Winchester 150 grain ballistic tips put the shots a little over an inch, and 180's right at an inch. The rifle would prolly do better in somebody elses hands though becauseI mayhave shot maybe3 boxes of rounds through it in the past year.
im looking into getting the sps stainless in .308. glad to hear a favorable review on the sps. i prolly wont do it this year since season is only a week away but i guess i need to start pricing some and get one.

Retaks 10-31-2007 01:45 AM

I hate to say it but im also looking at an SPS. Mine will be in 300 Ultra Mag though. I need a good bear/Moose/Elk gun and the SPS is below the price range i was looking to spend.

rem600 10-31-2007 06:39 AM

I have the same model and caliberyou are looking at. I love it. Recoil is more than my 30/30 but not much more than my Winchester 70 30.06, wood stock,with a pad. The composite stock and pad seem to make the recoil more of a hard push than a sharp recoil. At least it seems that way to me. Very versatile gun with many options on factory loads to suit your needs.

My opinion only, it may bea bit much for a deer. My 30/30 seems to work the best for the mulies I shoot. I definately use the 300 when going for elk.

KPK 10-31-2007 12:25 PM

I have a sps in 22-250 for coyotes and plinking. I am here to tell you that thisrig is accurate. I was shooting groups of 3 shotsdang neartouching at 50 yards. Put a small bottle at 225 yards shooting it all day. It may be that I was lucky, but I feel the gun is very well built and accurate. I don't have one complaint from it. I also have a 300 rum in the remington lss and it's a very sweet shooter. Me and a buddy reloaded nosler 180gr shells last year and they are very accurate and hard hitting.