Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage package rifle scopes? >

Savage package rifle scopes?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage package rifle scopes?

Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Savage package rifle scopes?

I got my Savage 116 in 30.06about 7 yrs ago i think it is now, marked down to $250.00 at walmart( it has no ajuistable trigger). It had a bushnell 3x9x 32 on it(model unknowen). I didnt like the scope from the start as it was blurry for my eyes- but i couldnt pass up the rifle for that price & planed on replaceingthe scopefrom the start.

A stainless steel rifle for $250- i couldnt help myself[8D]- i couldnt be happyier with the rifle- it shoots great. I put that silver bushnell that came with the savageon my 10/22( still blurry & "upgrated "to a bigger simmons 4x12 for $40). So far Savage* & Simmonsare still working asthey should( with at least 500+ rounds later)- tho not the clearest optics either i can see thew it ok.

Its my go to gun &beater just togo out plinkingetc(it gets covered in dust/grit a lot- not much rain)& i have used it for elk etc to in the pastt & insnow/rain& frezzing teps- i like the weight/balance of it compared to some ofmy other rifles & that i dont have to worry about scratching up my fancy wood/ blueingetc(as happened some with my fancy wooded Rem & ruger in the big rocks in the past).

And i think shesreall Pretty- plastic stock & all & dosnt need pampering

I may upgrade to a better scope someday on it( money permiting_)

It wont be with a 800$(6x20-) leopold like my soninlaw did( for that price it better get up & gut my animals & cook it for me)

(Have another simmons- 3x9 with dark red tinted lens (model unknowen)-never seen another like it- but been using it for yrs- it was cheap& so far no problems)

Old 11-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Spike

Do you have a need for another scope for a 22? I bought a package deal Savage 22-250 pulled the scope put it on one of my 22s. Put a Leupold 6.5 x 20 VXIIIon the Savage and its a tack driver. Buy the package for the gun - not the scope. Don't believe you have to go Leupold upper end to have a good gun. But $200 for a the low to mid range Nikon Monark, Burris Fulfield II, Bushnell Elite 3200or Leupold VXII will make a great gun for $500 - $600.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think for many hunters the name on the product is directly proportional to the ego boost. I have a few friends who play "the name game" and spend high dollars on products but HAVE NEVER harvested a thing. Many of us good ole boys on the other hand, on blue collar budgets and Jack Daniels tastes have harvested a many a animal. And my Simmons 3x9 sitting atop my Winchester model 70 has pulled in a fair share and never let me down. Leupold and all those fancy names might impress, but they don't guarantee squat.
Some of the Simmons scopes work, Mine doesn't.

You really get what you pay for with optics. They simply can't cut corners on manufacturing or use cheaper materials and still make a quality product. That being said, the only scopes I'm interested in are Leupolds, Nikons, Burris, and soem of the mid- upper end Bushnells. I couldn't with good conscience reccommend a craptacular cheap scope to a personal friend if there's a chance that it won't work correctly.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I ain't got a lot of respect for package scopes as they are always cheaper scopes that I've had problems with.
Package scopes are just like the "standard tires" that are on new vehicles-they will get you out of the show room, but that's about all.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 AM

I have the savage model 10 w/ the simmons scope. Now the scope is not great buy any means but if you want to get a package deal and not break the bank, and get a better scope latter, this is it. I was shooting over the weekend and I can tell you that this thing is a tack driver, 100 yards is nothing at all to shoot one roung into the other. And I will buy a new scope later, but the gun is great, very well built and good useed scopes are not hard to find. Way to go Savage! At a great price too!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

passifist-exactly how much experience do YOU HAVE FIRSTHAND with well built quality scopes? NOT what friends have but YOU. Compare them and you too will then be on the "have a decent quality scope" bandwagon as I am.

ORIGINAL: Passafist
I think for many hunters the name on the product is directly proportional to the ego boost. I have a few friends who play "the name game" and spend high dollars on products but HAVE NEVER harvested a thing. Many of us good ole boys on the other hand, on blue collar budgets and Jack Daniels tastes have harvested a many a animal. And my Simmons 3x9 sitting atop my Winchester model 70 has pulled in a fair share and never let me down. Leupold and all those fancy names might impress, but they don't guarantee squat.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rats

Go with a leupold. He cant go wrong.If money is an issue the VXI is a good bet.
I've had nothing but problems with my VX-1 and the Burris I have puts it to shame not factoring in all the problems I've had with the Leupold and was cheaper and had a free GPS with it. I'm told that the majority of people with Leupolds don't have these issues so I'm in the minority. Then again at the same time I only know 3 people with Leupolds me included and 2 of us have had issues where it seemed like the scope was self adjusting. I got mine back and put it in my muzzle loader but haven't sighted it in yet. The other guy got his back and traded it for a .22 rifle. This was the 2nd time mine had been in for repair.

It also seemed to lose zero very very easily.

The 3rd guy will tell you he hasn't had it long enough or used it enough to see how it will hold up.

I've been told by a few guys I've talked to that like Leupolds that the VX-I is crap and to stay away from it. They go on to tell me how Leupold makes great scopes but that the VX-I is crap. I'm sorry but there is no reason a $250 scope shold be crap. Low end from that company or not.

The Burris I got on clearance for $200 with a free Gramin eTrex GPS and clarity wise I like it better. The crosshairs are a ton better as they change between a gold and black look to make it easy to see. I don't know how they do it but it changes to gold sometimes when you couldn't see black easily. I've not had any issues yet but not had it a full year yet either so I can't comment on that part of it but looking through it then the Leupold I can see that I clearly like the Burris a ton more and it was cheaper.

I have a $30 Tasco that's held up a lot better than the Leupold VX-I and I can't tell a difference clarity wise. A friend looked through them and said the Tasco look clearer to him but I can't honestly tell a difference and it's lasted longer where as the Leupold's been sent in for repair twice.

I know guys on here get tired of my bashing Leupold but I just can't say I had a good experience. Their higher end scopes may be great but if they can't make a decent $250 scope why should I spend $500 to see if they made a good $500 one?

I think there are much better brands out there for the same pricerange.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now as for that rifle I like the Savages a lot and someday may own one. A buddy has one in .243 and he likes the scope okay. It was good enough for them to head shot a squirrel from quite a ways away this year.

However, while I think it might be fine to last you a year or so I'd probably want to upgrade it. I like Simmons scopes to be honest and have never had bad luck with them. Most of my friends use them with a few using Tasco's and one or two using Nikons and I can only think of one of them that's had one have to be sent back. One other one may have but he has a ton of guns. I'm not sure if he has or not but it seems like he might have. I don't know of any of them having a Simmons break and it's rare for them to have Tasco break. Like I said though 2 out of 3 have had the Leupolds not be right and have to be sent back.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a decent Simmons scope on there I just don't know that the one that comes on there is decent. It should be a great rifle though and the scope may even get you buy if you can't afford a nice scope right now.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

i bought a savage 110 package in 7mm-08 and it came with the cheap simmons scope. I have to say, right out of the box the gun was almost spot on with accuracy. Now, i know the scope is junk, but i still have it on top of this gun. Why? cuz it works so far. I would love to go out and put a $500 scope on this rig and will at some point, but every year this combo can bag a deer. I just purchased a Marlin XL7 in which i put a nikon scope on top and yes, you can tell it's better but i really can't justify replacing the cheap simmons yet since every time i go to the range its one of the most accurate setups i have.

I think these packages are a good way to get a reasonable setup for hunting for a good price. you get what you need and it works. You can always replace the scope later but to start out, for under $400 you get both and it will work.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Briman,

The package gun's scopes aren't that great, better to get just the rifle and scope separately.

You say your buddy is looking at either the 110 or 116 in .30-06. I've got my Savage 111GCNS .30-06 up for sale right now in the Guns Classified forum. If he'd be interested send me a PM. $450 for the whole thing. It's got the detachable centerfeed magazine, Accu-Trigger and the scope is a Konus Pro 3.5-10x44mm. It's not the fanciest scope around, but it's a lot better than the Simmons that the package guns come with. I believe it's in Leupold rings and bases, but I don't remember right off the top of my head. It's also got a Limbsaver recoil pad.

Mike

Quick Reply: Savage package rifle scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.