Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 S&W M&P vs. Glock >

S&W M&P vs. Glock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

S&W M&P vs. Glock

Old 10-25-2007, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: S&W M&P vs. Glock

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just a couple of comments.....I do like the Para-Ordinance .45's and may have to rethink that option. Their only downside is they are rather thick and really not that much different than my current carry pistol, a Colt Officers .45. I am trying to get away from that size and weight of handgun.

The XD's, seem to be all the rave right now but I handled them and they just seem "blocky". I will reevaluated them also. I really like Springfields products, so that may be a factor in my decision.

The Rohrbaugh looks like a great pistol....only wish it were .40 or .45. It also seems like a much nicer copy of the Kel-Tec. I already have a Kel-Tec .32 and it is one of the best little pistols I have ever bought for the money.

Decisions...decisions!!! How about someone send me a huge bag of money so I can buy one of each and let you all know what I think!! Sounds like a great idea to me.

WW
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wwhunter-I hate to keep harpin on paras but they do make single stack and aluminum framed models.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 PM

A couple things to address in this post.

9mm-40S&W. One only has to look at the amount of depts that have dropped the 9mm in favor of the 40 S&W to realize what the preference should be. 40 S&W is not that much more expensive to shoot than 9mm anymore. 357 Sig is alot more expensive to shoot. although it is a great round for duty/self defense.

Glock. I have carried both Beretta's and Glocks for duty and far prefer the Glock. Someone mentioned a Glock jamming up. The likely cause for this would be what is referred to as "limp wristing" when shooting it. This will cause the Glock to jam more than anything. A stiff, locked wrist will likely eliminate that problem. I would far recommend the Glock over most guns....after all, I do trust my life to one.

I am not familiar with the S&W, but hopefully its not anything like the Sigma....a couple friends had them and sent them down the road. I only shot one and didn't likea thing about it.

Glocks triggers are easily adjustable by areliable gunsmith. Find a refurbished one and it will likely be one a law enforcement agency traded in and try it. Ibet it's trigger is different than a factory trigger.

I have heard good things aboutthe XD, although most whom I have talked with complain about it's bulkiness. I have never shot one myself.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not a gunsmith nor a Glock armorer but I have been able to completely detail strip the frame and slideandreplace the trigger assemblies on several Glocks. I had a certified armorer walk me through the steps one time andwas then able to do it on my own.Another benefit of the Glock is it contains less than 40 parts, including the magazine. It took me about 600 rounds to really get the hang of the Glock trigger. My trigger control is much better now and my overall shooting with all types of firearms has improved.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Spike

I had anew Glock G19 with CTC lasergrips- after 30rds I got rid of it. Had an untouched M&P40c - loved it! Had a custom M&P9c that I literally just sold 3 days ago - loved it! I'll probably never get rid of my M&P45 as I am just way too damn fond of it. Not one of my M&P's has ever had any issues what-so-ever. All work on the 9c and 45 was done by Dan Burwell of burwellgunsmithing.com. A true artists with M&P's and 1911's. The following is my M&P45 and 9c he worked on:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/JoshSC/jg5w.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/JoshSC/jg4w.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/JoshSC/9c1.jpg

There's not a single pistol out there that I've shot that I'd rather have over one of these M&P's. By far the most accurate, reliable, comfortable, and down right fun guns I've ever shot/owned.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

So far the M&P seems to "fit" me the best. I really do like the Para's also as I am a diehard .45 fan. The more I keep rethinking this I may just have to stay with my Officers Model. It is deadly accurate but my only dislike is the weight. Maybe have to find a lightweight Model or just go for the M&P.

Stalkingbear, No problem with reiterating the Para's. I really like them ans as a matter of fact they were my first choice when I started this quest for a new CCW. Just not many of them on the shelves around here to mull over.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

7mm08,
That first pic shows some lasergrips I didn't know they had.
Apparently they replace the whole backstrap, eh?
Pretty slick.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

7mm08,
That first pic shows some lasergrips I didn't know they had.
Apparently they replace the whole backstrap, eh?
Pretty slick.
Yes,it's the LG-660 model from Crimson Trace Lasergrips, and yes it's a direct backstrap replacement(supposed to besame size as medium backstrap, but most people say it's between medium and large)- very quick and convenient.They were officially released for sale to the public on September 10th, and only a couple units were available for direct purchase from CTC that day. I was one of the idiots who paid $340 the day they were released to get a set delivered ASAP. Could've waited about 2-3 weeks for most dealers to get them in and saved about $100. I'd been waiting for them to come out for over a year, though, so it was worth every penny to me.

I had Dan Burwell stipple the grip so what you see is different than what you'd get from Crimson Trace.

Here are two pics that I actually took. The other pics are some Dan took for me while I was in Germany waiting to get home to my gun.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/JoshSC/S4027520.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/JoshSC/S4027522.jpg
Old 10-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

most law enforcement agencies in the world, not just U.S. (that carry firearms), carry Glocks. this isn't by coincident.