Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 all purpose lever-action? >

all purpose lever-action?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

all purpose lever-action?

Old 10-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: all purpose lever-action?

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Guess I did eldeguello-consider my hand smacked.
OK! Actually, I'm with you. he'd be better off with a BLR in .325 WSM. Then he could take on anything in NA out to 300+ yards, if he went out west or to AK!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have your heart set on a big bore then I vote the 45-70, factory remington loads have less recoil than my 307 win. If your concerned about recoil then I say 30-30. My first lever gun was a 336 in 35 rem surpised me how hard that gun kicked, may have just been the load and the inexperience of the shooter at that point though. I think your right on with the lever gun/open sights in the brush country, I shoot a m94 in 307 with an XS system ghost ring and a m7600 in 35 Whelen with a Williams peep mounted on the receiver as my two brush guns. I would also look at the 760/7600 pumps that will give a wide variety of chamberings, you can probably find a used one in a pawn shop at a resaonable price. Just some food for thought.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Based on the type of game you've specified and what you told us about the length of shots you'll be taking I would say go with the 45-70. I'm currently buying other guns but it'll be next on my list simply because it seems to be kind of a do it all cartridge.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well-that's the way I look at it is why handicap yerself with heavy recoil and short range when a rifle that shoots flat and is accurate will still do a great job at close range. Also,ya never know when ya might have oppertunity to hunt somewhere that a longer shot may present itself in the future.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gentlemen, I truly appreciate everyone's input. Thank you. Went with the Marlin 1895xlr. Took it out to the range yesterday afternoon. good lord, that baby's sweet!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: boysda

Gentlemen, I truly appreciate everyone's input. Thank you. Went with the Marlin 1895xlr. Took it out to the range yesterday afternoon. good lord, that baby's sweet!
Great! Glad you like it. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: boysda

Great! Glad you like it. Good luck!
was getting 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards with the factory sights. gonna take your advice and get aperture/ghost rings mounted on it. can't wait to see what those puppies do.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:22 PM

boysda, thats a great choice and you will not find any animal on this planet that you can't kill with style, with the proper loading.
Your gonna love that gun, Glenn
Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Marlin XLR in .308 Marlin Express. It has great ballistics and will be great in the close quarters. But if you ever get a chance to hunt somewhere that will require some distance out of your rifle you won't be limited. Nothing worse then regreting your rifle choice over range as that deer walk by at 200yds. The 308 marlin express is one bad poodle shooter.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM

What you doing here, this is TIDE country, and 200 yds aint out of 45-70 range friend, from central Bama !

Quick Reply: all purpose lever-action?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.