HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Keystone Arms - Crickett Youth 22???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/212526-keystone-arms-crickett-youth-22-a.html)

BarnesX.308 10-17-2007 11:11 AM

Keystone Arms - Crickett Youth 22????

I saw this gun at a dealer and really liked it. My boy is 5 and our smallest H&R pump 22 is too long for him. He was with me and he shouldered it. Fit him like a glove. It was used but in mint condition. For $139, I can't see how one could go wrong. He will outgrow it in a few years so I don't need a Sako. Anyone have one of these? Thanks.

bronko22000 10-17-2007 11:14 AM

RE: Keystone Arms - Crickett Youth 22????

$139 seems a bit high - check wal mart I saw one in ours for $99 new

BarnesX.308 10-17-2007 11:27 AM

That is pretty cheap. I was thinking about trading a rifle in, though, for the Crickett and some store credit. Walmart won't do that. Still, $40 is $40.

Have you ever shot one?

Thanks.

TUK101 10-17-2007 02:49 PM

I havent shot one personally, but I do read pretty much all of the threads concerning these Cricket youth rifles and they all pretty much say that the little rifle is a good one. I shouldered one at the store about a year ago and it did give me thoughts of getting one for my youngest who is now 5. I dont thing that it is ever too early to teach the youngsters to use and be responsible with firearms. He has been with me twice so far and has seen what a firearm can and does do to a deer and knows to never point one at anybody, use the safety at all times until he is pointed at the target and ready to fire etc. The $139 does sound about close to retail price though. Maybe see if they will take $120, that would seem like a fairer price to me.

sinocs 10-17-2007 09:30 PM

I bought one for my kid a few years ago when he was 4. I think I paid $99 for it at Wal -Mart, but it has been awhile. It works pretty good and is real accurate. Only problems I have had is it doesn't want to eject the shells all the time. If you get one always have the key with you, if you don't you will accidently lock it.

BarnesX.308 10-18-2007 10:12 AM

I broke down and bought it last night :D.

Key? I didn't see a key with it. I better check in the box again.

i looked at the brochure and saw the lock on the trigger on the pictures. Mine doesn't have that. I like that you have to cock it even after you close the bolt. An added safety feature.

stalkingbear 10-18-2007 05:11 PM

Whatever you do,please check out chipmunk rifle. It is VASTLY superior in quality and accuracy but you will pay extra for it tho. The accuracy amazed even me. My babtgirl's chipmunk was topped with the old redfield 3/4" tube .22 scope and it's perfectly sized for the chipmunk.

Brod_Man 10-18-2007 05:26 PM

from what ive seen cricketts are good starters, but not great overall guns. i got a rossi matched pair .22/410 for getting good grades, in the 4th grade, and i still use it, for plinking, and groundhogs, and squirrels. its youth sized, but it is really light, and pretty accurate. its breakbarrel design adds saftey, because you must pull the hammer back, then take it off safe. It also teaches shot placement. at his age though it doesnt matter if its the best gun, so long as he likes it and it gets him into the outdoors. Hope you and the little one have a great time learnig to shoot. If he hunts with it make sure to teach ethics, and shot placement. :)Have fun and be Safe.:)

IndyHunter83 10-19-2007 07:04 AM

I started with one of those way back almost twenty years ago. Still have it infact. Loved that little rifle. I used it until I was about 10 and then got a .22 mag marlin. I saw them at gander mountain last night. I gotta go back by there today. I'll check to see what the price range is. $139 sounds a bit high. I've seen them as low as $95 NIB. But yeah. Definately a great gun to go for.

Brod_Man 10-19-2007 07:22 AM

heres a link to the official crickett .22 rifle.lol
http://www.crickett.com/
remember the slogan my first rifle, not a toy.

Briman 10-19-2007 07:28 AM

If they are going for $139, spend an extra $30 and get a Savage Cub. The Savage youth .22s are 10 times the rifle as either the cricket, chipmunk, or anything made by Rossi. I did a lot of comparison shopping in getting a .22 for my son, the Savage costs more but has some really nice features:
-Accutrigger
-Scope dovetail on the receiver
-easy to adjust rear aperture sight
-toggle lever safety
-Nice laminated stock
-Is very accurate and well balanced. My son (5)was popping off Wheat Thin crackers at 25 yards the other day with it, and I was able to hit them easily shooting the rifle standing.

BarnesX.308 10-19-2007 10:52 AM

i already bought it. I don't have any regrets. Though some may be better quality, this is a decent starter that he will outgrow in a few years. In two or three years he will be big enough to shoot my old H&R pump and Springfield bolt 22lr. This was just to bridge the gap between the Red Ryder BB gun and our existing 22s.

Here he is shooting the BB gun in the spring and his compound in the summer.

Briman 10-19-2007 11:26 AM

:)