Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Recommendation on a starter rifle? >

Recommendation on a starter rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recommendation on a starter rifle?

Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Recommendation on a starter rifle?

My husband is starting to deer hunt. It will just be one weekend a year. I am trying to help him research a gun for a b-day gift. (He is really bad at researching and so that is more of the gift than the gun

Suggestions for a reasonably priced rifle that is of good quality?????

THANK YOU GUYS!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:37 PM

Default RE: Recommendation on a starter rifle?

Mule deer or white tail?

Also, what is your budget $$ for gun, scope, rings, case, ammo
Old 10-05-2007, 01:42 PM

umm, I think white tail. We are in Wisconsin, if that helps... as you can see I am fairly clueless!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:50 PM

go to www.savagearms.com and look into some rifles there. has your husband evershot a rifle before?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:55 PM

Yes, he has shot a rifle. He has hunted small game before and has a shotgun.He went deer hunting last year and borrowed one. My dad goes every year and we just moved here, so my husband is learning from him. But, my dad hasn't bought a gun in a long time, so he wasn't much help in what is good out there at the moment. I will check out that website, thanks!
Old 10-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

If your looking for a good inexpensive gun Savage is the way to go.. Also look into the New England Handi Rifle. It is a single shot but will do the job. As far as caliber goes my vote is 243 or 7mm-08
Old 10-05-2007, 02:02 PM

I edited my post, but what is your budget $$? You will need gun, scope, rings, ammo, case, sling, cleaning kit...
Old 10-05-2007, 02:10 PM

I guess that is part fo the reason I am here... Don't really have a budget since I really have no idea the cost. I would say under $500? I mean I don't want the top of the line in case this is not a really his "thing" but we aren't looking at ultra cheap. Something good quality but not enourmously expensive... I know that is really vague, sorry !!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunterswife - In an attempt to stay in your $500 range I too would suggest a rifle from the Savage line. The Model 11F and 111F are good reliable rifles. And Savage has a reputation for good out of the box accuracy. Stay away from the package deals though and use the extra cash to get a decent scope. Nikon makes a nice scope for about $150. Then you will need scope mounts and rings.
As for cartridge selection, I here the deer up there in your neck of the woods get to be pretty big. I would go with either the 7-08, .270 or 30-06. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Recommendation on a starter rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.