HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Bad day at the range (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/210431-bad-day-range.html)

Duramax05 10-05-2007 08:54 AM

Bad day at the range

Read an article about removing copper fouling and thought I should do it. I normally just clean the gun with a powder solvent with patches and brush. Nothing special. So I went and bought a bore scrubber copper solvent and cleaned with that. I got a lot of stuff out of that barrel. So I went and cleaned my other rifles the same way. These rifles normally shoot pretty well. Usually around an inch or so if I do my part. I was hopefully expecting a little better after the cleaning. Well at the range the 06 and the .243 shot terrible. My 06 will shoot any round I put in it. The groups were around 3" and not consistant. Both boxes of shells are new remington express which may be the problem. But i've never had problems before. I need to get into handloading. Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

mauser06 10-05-2007 09:05 AM

RE: Bad day at the range

could be that you got your bore down right spotless....

not uncommon for guns to shoot better, dirty.

but also not uncommon for guns to like a spotless bore.

i read somewhere that removing ALL the fouling and copper from a barrel messes with the friction or something to that extent and can lead to worse accuracy. i dont know...somehere can explain it better im sure:)

Folically Challenged 10-05-2007 09:07 AM

1) Are you shooting a different ammo. than what you usually shoot?

2) You could've gotten the bore too clean. Give it up to 20 rounds before passing judgement.

3) Was your cleaner ammonia-based? If so, did you leave it in longer than 10 min.? If so, there could be damage to the bore.

Just a few thoughts,

FC

Duramax05 10-05-2007 09:13 AM

Thanks for the replies. I shot about 15 rounds through each gun and it didnt get any better. I think the cleaner is ammonia based but I didn't leave it in there for over 10 min. The ammo isthe same ammo I always use. The 06' usually doesn't not shoot well with anything. The 180gr was what I was shooting but it will shoot 150-220gr without a problem. I really likes the 220gr though. Maybe I'll try them and see how they shoot with the "clean" bore.

aluminumshooter 10-06-2007 02:38 PM

This story sounds familiar. Several years ago I read too many articles about how most guns are not thoroughly cleaned and wouldshoot better if cleaned completely. So I bought one of those electric bore cleaning outfits that completely clean the bore through an electrostatic process. Bad move. I had been regularly shooting 1.5" or under groups at 100 yards, with the occasional cloverleaf 3 shot group. After the cleaning I was lucky to get a 2" group, with 3" more frequent. The only good thing is that I only used it ontwo guns before checking the results.

The way I got back to 1.5inch groups was to shoot a round, runa cleaning cloth through it, repeat for 10 rounds then clean at every other round for another 10.Now my motto is if itain't broke don't fix it.Also, take magazine articles with a grain of salt.

Duramax05 10-08-2007 10:07 AM

Good news. Went to the range yesturday and burnt up some ammo. The groups shrunk back down to about an inch after a box and a half of shells. I was telling and old timer at the range about the issue and he told me that hes had the same issue. He only really cleans the bore when his accuracy becomes a problem. Thanks for all of the imput and good shootin'.

Deleted User 10-08-2007 04:29 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

bigcountry 10-08-2007 05:16 PM

Signs of a rough bore. I myself clean out all the copper pretty regularly. Copper left in barrels can cause pits over time. Copper oxidizes before steel remember.

eldeguello 10-09-2007 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

could be that you got your bore down right spotless....

not uncommon for guns to shoot better, dirty.

but also not uncommon for guns to like a spotless bore.

i read somewhere that removing ALL the fouling and copper from a barrel messes with the friction or something to that extent and can lead to worse accuracy. i dont know...somehere can explain it better im sure:)
The complete removal of all fouling could indeed be the problem. Don't clean it that way again and see if the buildup of a little fouling might improve things. (About 2 years ago, I bought some Remington .22 Hornet ammo - I needed cases to reload. The stuff shot so poorly I might as well have been throwing rocks!)

Years ago, the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit people I used to shoot with from time to time NEVER cleaned their National Match M1's!

c j 10-10-2007 04:01 PM

just a thought, but was there any crosswind that day at the range?