Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR-15

Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 AM

Default AR-15

ok, give me some advice on a brand to buy! I have been looking and there are so many brands and models I am getting lost.

Also, I didn't know until tonight, that there is a difference between .223 and 5.56 NAto. Any advice or comments?

Right now my top choice is an Olympic arms in 7.62x39. But with magazines hard to come by and expensive I might stick with the .223,
Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 AM

Default RE: AR-15

if you want a 7.62/39 then buy an AK. You can pick up an AK for the cost of a good barrel / upper for an AR-15. There are a lot of great choices out there for good barrels and uppers. I have a bull barrel from Double Star that shoots wonderfully. Fairly reasonably priced too. YOu can always go big, and buy a douglas, too.
As far as 5.56 Nato, and .223. I have shot both from my rifle with no problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want the ultimate in ar style rifle,les bauer and rock river.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed. If you want 7.62x39, get an AK.

Lots of AR manufacturers out there. I have friends who swear by their Olympics, I think the same of my Rock River, but my Colt has been a steady shooter for years. The only problems I've seen have been "kit" guns put together at home by amateur gunsmiths (usually feeding problems) and a lone Bushmaster that apparently got out of the factory without a quality inspection (but has since been fixed).

Maybe the tougher question is which "style" of AR? M16A2? M4? something inbetween? A "varminter"? flattop?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your going to have a hard time choosing,everyone has a favorite brand.I have a CMMG,as far as ammo for 223 you can shoot 223 in a rifle marked 5.56 but not recommended to go the other way.Get a flattop and mod it to your heart and pocketbooks content!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 AM

Olympic arms is a good choice as are the others mentioned , the question is " what do you want out of your rifle " , plinker , target (varmint huntingtype )or one the mil.spec versions. I have two OA's , one is set up with a 24", S/S HB, 1 in 10" twistbbl. for target and one I am in the process of building and am not sure which wayI want to go with it yet( I've had both for over twenty years( both prebans if that means any thing now a days)There are so many add ons and config. , it boggles the mind now a days . All this stuff was not available when I was custom building them back then . Think of what you want it for and go with that , all the diff. types have limitations as to there particular configuations. As said if you want a 7.62x 39 buy the AK they are still a good deal. I've had a couple of AK's in 223 and they shot pretty good .
Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 AM

I have a DPMS panther lite and love it. I have put about 2000 rounds thru it and not one failure to function. I went with a non removable carry handle, m4 ramps and no grenade launcher notch on the barrel. I did not see the point in payin for something Ill never use. ( idont have a grenade launcher and prob never will). I like the carry handle alot, I have a red dot on the handle.I love this setup for home protection and gettin those nasty little prairie dogs!
Nathan
Old 10-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

556 ammo is loaded hotter than .223. A 556 chamber has a longer throat to keep the pressures within sane levels. You can shoot .223 in a barrel marked as 556 safely. You cannot safely shoot 556 with a .223 chamber.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 PM

I have to say I am surprised by all the olypic arms compliments. In my neck of the woods they are not viewed too highly, they are also a dime a dozen used at every pawn shop in town, Stay with a 5.56 chamber!
Just my opinion.
Nathan
Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned a few Rock River Arms, and I love 'em. So that would be my vote. They come with a NM trigger, which many of the others don't come with, and they have an accuracy guarantee out of the box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.