Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 round recommendations? >

round recommendations?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

round recommendations?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default round recommendations?

Currently I deer hunt in both Indiana and Kentucky. I use a 50 cal inline during firearm season in indiana and have been using a .243 handirifle during the kentucky situation.Afew things are making want a new rifle for my kentucky.

1. Though I would recommend the .243 as a deer cartridge with-in 200 yds, I've had this rifle for six year and cant even count the times when I've either decided not to shoot because I thought it was too far or had the opportunity to a second shot and had to reload and just not being able to fast enough.
2. I've been saving for afew months and finally have enough money to buy a decent rifle w/o my girl friend throughing an absolute fit.
3. I was recently talking to my father and he wants to possibly go after elk in the next two years
4. I just really wanna try a new gun

These four things considered, I've been frequently browsing the firearms section at the local gander mountain. The four cartridges most used in the big game rifles are .270, 30-06, 7mm rem mag, and 300 wsm. I'm looking for a cartridge that I will have plenty of knock down power out past 250 yds but would also have enough to possiblely go after elk in the near future. Any feed back you could give would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: round recommendations?

.270 or 30-06 would be fine. Plus they have the versatility to go into the shorter ranges as well without being overkill like your other 2 picks. Do you have a rifle in mind? That could narrow your choices down too.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

First, don't be scared to go past that 200 yard mark with a .243, I've killed about 150 deer with mine, I have never felt undergunned and frankly can drop any deer in its tracks when I feel the need....A good 200 yard plus bullet is the Federal Premium 85gr HPBT...At longer ranges you want faster velocity to help the bullet open up, if I remember correctly, that loading is moving faster at 300 yards than a 150 grain .308 bullet is doing at 200...I have killed several with that bullet at 250 plus...Another plus, sight in 2 1/2 to 3 inches high at 100, you'll be 2 1/2 to 3 inches low at 300....

Owning a .243, if I wanted a rifle for elk...I'd go with a regular 300 Mag...Frankly for elk, your muzzleloader would do well....I'd take my .54 caliber flintlock myself....
Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't really thought about that yet. I was looking and remington has a inexpensive rifle and scope combo for $329 offered in all the cartridges. I was looking at spending around $600-$800 on the rifle and then probably around $150 on the scope. So any recommendations on that would also be appreciated. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for. I'd like a bolt action, prefer a black synthetic stock, and thats really about it. Been looking at the remington 700 and remington 700 sportsman and really liked the browning A-Bolt. I think its the composite stalker but am doing more research online
Old 09-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

That rifle/scope combo is probably a Remington 710. It receives a few good reviews from users, and a lot of mediocre/poor reviews.

Based on your stated budget, I'd step up to a Remington Model 700 SPS, which will run in the $450 range, and double your current budget for a good scope. There are a lot of calibers that will fill your bill, and you've listed a bunch of good ones. With elk possibly on the ticket, I'd probably set a minimum caliber of .277 to .284. So, the .270 Win and the 7mm-08 will probably be your minimums. You can take a step up by choosing the .30-06 or the .308 Win. With any of these calibers, on elk, you'll need to keep their limitations in mind andbe selectivewith your shot choice and stay within reasonable range on elk. But, they're all more than adequate on deer at ranges beyond which I'd be willing to take a shot... I'm not much of a magnum fan, as I don't care much for recoil and muzzle blast. I'd rather have a standard caliber, and limit my shots to 300 yards, than pick a magnum that'll put them down at 400-500 but cause a flinch that will make me miss...
Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would suggest a .308 Win. About 50 fps slower then the 30-06, but a short action and less recoil. imo
Old 09-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

+1 for the Rem 700 SPS. IMO it's the most gun for the $ and like shooter said, you'd have more left for quality glass. Brett
Old 09-25-2007, 03:44 PM

I shoot a remington 700 adl in .300 win mag. I love this set up. I shot 150 gr bullets and my deer have alwyas dropped on the spot. I dont find it much more in the recoil dep. than a .06 with heavy loads, def better then shooting turkey loads in my 870. I chose the .300 win mag because in my mind it gave me alot of options in the bullet dept, also it works very well on bigger game too.
Just my 2 cents
Nathan
Old 09-28-2007, 09:54 AM

for an all round rifle 7mm or 300win magnuf said
Old 09-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was looking at spending around $600-$800 on the rifle and then probably around $150 on the scope.
You want to spend at least double that amount for a good scope. Once you use a good quality scope you will be amazed at the difference and it might make difference between getting a deer or not. I hunt pigs at night and with any moonlight at all I don't need a light to see them with a cheap scope it will not be clear enough to do that. I use the Zeiss Conquest and you can get them as cheap as $400 for a 3 x 9.

Quick Reply: round recommendations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.