Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ccw question >

ccw question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ccw question

Old 09-13-2007, 05:07 PM

Default ccw question

a post in the bowhunting forum about finding meth labs, pot growsand all that prompted this question, so i thought it would fit better here. i was under the impression that you can buy a handgun after passing the background check and all, but it is very hard to obtain a CCW. where i live, maryland, iwas toldspecial circumstances are needed in order to be eligible to get a CCW (owning a store, getting death threats, etc). at first i didnt even think ofwanting onebecause i could see no reason why i need to carry a gun around, ya know? but when thinking of finding meth labs or just seeing a mental person, or even a bear, deep in the back woods, i think it would be much more safe than just having a bow against god knows what. for your state (wherever you may live) how hard is it to get a CCW. like i said, i would never just carry a gun around with me, i wouldnt see a need to carry a gun to the store or something ya know (would cause more harm than good IMO), but while bowhunting in deep national forest, i know it would make me feel much better. i may call the state police and ask, but i was wandering what the laws are like in your state. thanks alot
Old 09-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ccw question

I know here in California it is against the law to carry a firearm WHILE bowhunting, and I'm pretty sure that means pistols too...
Old 09-13-2007, 05:27 PM

yea im sure it is here too. atleast if ya dont got a CCW. and i dont want to get in trouble for something like that ya know, but sometimes, honestly, i feel a little ... unneasy while in the woods all by myself ya know. i jus dont know how hard it is to get a CCW
Old 09-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Same in Massachusetts. You may not carry while hunting. Of course if the state had its way you would not be allowed to own a gun in the first place.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:17 PM

I don't bowhunt, so I don't know what the rules are for that situation. As far as getting a CCW, in GA, you go to the local probate court, fill out some paperwork, answer a questionaire, get your fingerprints taken by a cop, pay your money ($45) and wait for it to get sent to Atlanta to be processed, and your background check done. Then it just has to go back to the court where you applied for the judge to sign it and have it mailed out to you. I think mine took about 3-4 months to get back. Good for 5 years. GA permit is good i think in 19 states.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

In va, http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm, sorry I could not figure out how to shorten it. But as long as the handgun has 350f/p muzzle enery or more and have concealed handgun permit but only during archery and muzzleloading season.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

A good source of information is: http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

I guess the price tag went up. I thought it was only $35 here. But yea it's pretty simple in Georgia. Also, under Georgia's laws you can't carry a firearm of any type when bow hunting. Not sure about the reason for that but it's stated prety clearly in the manual. Still, I take either my single sixor my riflewith me when I go up to the property for any other reason just to be safe. If I'm just walking through or working on something (food plot or whatever) I'll take the pistol. If it's scouting I'll take my rifle incase I see a coyote. I haven't had to useeither but it does add a since of security.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:37 AM

yea i agree. i guess my 10 inch hunting blade with have to be sufficient. i dont need to get a charge over it lol. and im pretty sure on private land you can carry it, but thats your own land ya know
Old 09-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Pennsylvania, you apply to your County Sherrif's office for a CCW permit. They do a backround check and either issue or deny. I believe it takes somewhere around a month. It's not so much of an "I need it because"........thing. It's basically treated as a 2nd Ammendment right. I've had mine for around 15 or more years, I believe, and it has to be renewed every 5 yrs. if not revoked sooner because you flubbed up somewhere.
I also believe that the PA. Game Commission just changed the laws regarding carrying while bow hunting to permit it if you have the CCW. I think the spotting deer at night laws were changed in this regard too.

Quick Reply: ccw question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.