HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Mil-Surp Deer Hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/206819-mil-surp-deer-hunting.html)

mavwreck1975 09-13-2007 11:08 AM

Mil-Surp Deer Hunting?

I will be using an all originalNo4 Mk2 Lee Enfield for deer this year. It is very powerful and quite accurate. Has anyone here hunted with one of these and possibly have recommendations about factory ammo? Or does anyone else hunt with other types of surplus guns?

James B 09-13-2007 11:20 AM

RE: Mil-Surp Deer Hunting?

I have hunted with the 303 British, 6.5x55 Swedish and the Eddiestone U.S. 30-06. Federal makes ammo for the 303 and though its been a long time since I bought any, I think they make a 150 and 180 grain loads. The 303 is in the 308 power range and should be an excellent choice for deer hunting. Check Midway USA for ammo if you don't find it locally.

XPatriot 09-13-2007 04:56 PM

My dad collects old military rifles. I just got him an Enfield for his birthday. He says he's going to hunt with it this year, so it must have done pretty well at the range.

corey012778 09-13-2007 06:56 PM

I am going to be hunting with my chinese sks as my brush rifle this year, at this point it looks like with open sights. also winchester, Lellier & bellot, and hornady also make the 303 looked up in my natches catolog. but don't order from them they hit you very hard on shipping and hazmat fees.

eldeguello 09-14-2007 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: mavwreck1975

I will be using an all originalNo4 Mk2 Lee Enfield for deer this year. It is very powerful and quite accurate. Has anyone here hunted with one of these and possibly have recommendations about factory ammo? Or does anyone else hunt with other types of surplus guns?
Although old, the .303 British is a superb hunting round when loaded with the right bullet for the job at hand. At one time, it was the most popular cartridge throughout the British Empire, including Canada and Australia.

It has been used successfully on most game around the world, including Africa. For deer hunting, I would look for 150-grain softpoint ammo. For elk or moose, I'd see if I could find any of the old 215-grain round-nose softpoint ammo. If not, the 180-grainers will do....

Briman 09-15-2007 12:38 PM

I haven't hunted with a No.4, but I do enjoy shooting the ones I have. The factory loads that I have been using are remington softpoints. Because of their round nosed shape, they don't always feed quite right in an enfield though- they feed in my No4Mk1, My No1Mk3 , but not in my No4Mk1*

I've used different milsurps for hunting- A k98, a Yugo M48, and a M1 Garand but won't use them anymore. My opinion on which would be the best milsurp for hunting if not hte best milsurp available would be the Swiss K-31. Its very easy to add a clamp-on scope mount to them, most of them are capable of accuracy beyond that of an out-of-the-box remchestersavage. And best of all, they are fairly light in weight.
Here's one of mine with a clamp on scope mount:

Briman 09-15-2007 12:40 PM