HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   "AT MY WITS END" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/206664-my-wits-end.html)

Garminator 09-12-2007 11:18 AM

"AT MY WITS END"

I'm about to loose it guys. With deer season around the corner I recently attempted to sight my Browning A-bolt SS in 270 WSM & this darn thing wont seem to group!!! I mean, it's never been one of my better shooters (2.5 MOA at best) but i'm really staring to give up on this thing!!! I've tried at least 4 different types of ammo & no luck yet. Any advice would be much appreciated, God Bless.

statjunk 09-12-2007 11:23 AM

RE: "AT MY WITS END"

How do you clean? What kind of glass? Who mounted the scope? Did you check your action screws?

Tom

Garminator 09-12-2007 11:41 AM

Hoppes, bore brush, patches etc.. Leupold VX II 3 x 9 x 50, Leupold rings one pice base, Mounted & bore sighted by Bass Pro Shops....

Garminator 09-12-2007 11:43 AM

Sorry Stat, I have not checked the action screws but the rifle has less than100 rds through it

Meansy67 09-12-2007 11:44 AM

First check your scope for tightness. Make sure you clean the bore extensively and then re-shoot.

younggun308 09-12-2007 12:04 PM

My dad had the same problem with his Browning, and it was all over the place, but it turned out that the screws were loose at the action and the stock, after he tightened them, it shoots great, try that.

Garminator 09-12-2007 12:33 PM

I'll try that thx Younggun.

ShatoDavis 09-12-2007 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Garminator

, Mounted & bore sighted by Bass Pro Shops....
That could be your culprit. unfortunately some of the staff at BPS aren't all that qualified. Thats where I would start after the action screws. I remounted a base that had came from BPS and had 15 rounds through it. Two of the three base screws where too loose by my standards. One had almost backed out. none of them had locktite on them. I called and asked BPS why they hadn't put blue locktite on the screws and they told me that Leupold had told them not to. I lockite every one that I put on.

statjunk 09-13-2007 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

ORIGINAL: Garminator

, Mounted & bore sighted by Bass Pro Shops....
That could be your culprit. unfortunately some of the staff at BPS aren't all that qualified. Thats where I would start after the action screws. I remounted a base that had came from BPS and had 15 rounds through it. Two of the three base screws where too loose by my standards. One had almost backed out. none of them had locktite on them. I called and asked BPS why they hadn't put blue locktite on the screws and they told me that Leupold had told them not to. I lockite every one that I put on.
I was going to say the same thing but I didn't want to be the first to say it.

Tom

Ought_Six 09-13-2007 01:53 PM

Yep, I would check the action screws and the the scope. I would then try a good ole fashioned cleaning.