Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 "AT MY WITS END" >

"AT MY WITS END"

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

"AT MY WITS END"

Old 09-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: "AT MY WITS END"

try taking the mount off and cleaning the base screw holes with rubbing alcohol. sometimes if the rifle comes factory tapped for scope mounts the factory doesnt clean the grease out of the holes that they used to drill them. so clean those out put everything back together with loktite blue kind not red, you will never get them apart. then go to a local hunting shop small town shops show more pride in their work and get everything checked and boresighted
Old 09-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not acceptable...I can do that with my flintlock, with open sights....

At this point, I'd either swap out the scope, to eliminate that or try one or two more brands of ammo...I will tell you, in my .243 with some ammo, I see 4-5 inch groups, but with others, 1-1 1/2 inch...Hopefully its only a ammo problem...
Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah I guess it's back to the drawing board. Thanks for the tips guys....
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sad to hear it's still not working.

Maybe the rifle just doesn't like all three brands of ammo you're trying, as all of us know, guns are very picky sometimes, but I will admit I've never heard of one THAT picky, which just goes to show my lack of experiance and wisdom in these matters.

The only thing I can think of is the ammo, in my rifle, Federal Powershoks shoot better than anything out of my Remington .308, and they shoot pretty well out of my dad's Browning A-Bolt.

I'd just try it.

I think the reason your friend suggested the muzzlebreak, is because Browning makes a special muzzlebreak that comes with some of their rifles, including A-Bolts, and I'm sure you've heard of it, the BOSS system.
That's what my dad has on his Browning A-Bolt, and it works good, and it only worked good when he tightened the action screws and made sure everything was in check on the rifle, but once he got that finished and used lock-tight on the screws, he was able to adjust the BOSS system muzzlebreak, andit made his groups smaller, like a cloverleaf.
It works, but I've heard alot of complaints concerning the noise the muzzlebreak BOSS does, so Browning has the BOSS CR (Conventional Recoil), which doesn't serve as a muzzlebreak, but does give you the benefits of greater accuracy.

Perhaps the BOSS system will help you, a BOSS should cost under $100 on eBay, and you'll have to get a gunsmith to install it for you.

That, if anything would, would help your accuracy, I'm sure, but it's all up to you on what you decide.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

I had a Browning A-Bolt that I bought on clearance when the A-Bolt II's came out. The rifle was a composite stalker in 300 Win. Mag. The rifle shot poorly with 5 different types of factory ammo with the best groups of about 2 inches. I let my local gunsmith take a look at it and he liked the way everything looked. So at his suggestion I returned the gun to Browning. They rebedded the recoil lug area. Browning's come from the factory bedded in the recoil lug area. They also recut the barrel crown. When the rifle was returned took about 5 weeks, I was quite happy. This rifle turned into a tack driver. It would fire the 165 gr. Hornady custom load under an inch for 5 shot groups and I developed a load with H4831 & 180 gr. Nosler Partition that would hold 3/4".
Old 09-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you decide to sell it please let me know as I may be interested in it(depending on price) to use the action for basis to build custom rifle on.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

More importantly, has the rifle ever shot well? I used to have a Browning A-Bolt that just wouldn't shot any better than yours. I bedded the action, started to reload for it, and it just wouldn't shoot. Even sent it to Browning and they sent me back a 50 yard target with 3 holes an inch apart and said it was fine.

If it used to shoot better then you need to figure out what has changed. Different load/shells? Loose screws on scope or rifle? Copper buildup inside barrel (only a few cleaners will remove copper, search around for one that does).