Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 "AT MY WITS END" >

"AT MY WITS END"

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

"AT MY WITS END"

Old 09-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: "AT MY WITS END"

I had my scope put on for my bymy local shop. We got to talking and such as he was finishing up. It was my fault as much as his I should have left him alone to do the work. Soooo. I got to the range ready for a tack driver. Instead my gun started putting shots to the left real bad. I'd crank the scope adjustments to the right and it would shoot left. Finally I realized that the scope rings weren't tightened down. I cranked em' down on the spot (good thing I had my gear bag with me) and haven't had a problem since. We all make mistakes so it's no big deal. That's why we go to the range to sight our rifles in and don't just go to the woods right afterhaving them bore sighted. I'd check your scope rings and mounts to make sure they are tight. If that's not it break down the gun and put it back together making sure everything is tight.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Another option see if you can fire the rifle from a vice.. That way you can truly see what kind of group your getting without have you as a variable..
Old 09-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, i really appreciate all the tips.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive had this problem tiwcebefore....mine came down to the ammo both timesbut its always best to try the cheap stuff first. Screws, mounts etc. The first time it was with my H&R .243, found the ammo it liked and it turned into a deer dropper. The second was a Sauer 202 in .308. I tried some rounds through it and wasnt at all impressed, switched to the same brand that solved the 243s issue and what do ya know....perfect, minus my faults of course.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Yeah...Yeah...Yeah...............Blame it on the gun!

Sometimes not honing the scope rings will Tweak the scope.....
Old 09-20-2007, 07:46 AM

I had a browning a-bolt last year in 308 win...same problem wouldent group at all,traded it in for a tikka t3 in 308 a few months ago,now thats a awsome gun shoots moa plus smooth action and detachable magizine without that stupid drop plate!
Old 09-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't give up on the Browning...After you have checked all the scope mount screws and the barrel to action screws, try some of the Federal Premium 140 gr Accubonds....

My cousin had me sight in his Browning last year, I think it is a Gold Hunter, thing was beautiful, had a octagon barrel...With the Accubonds, I put 3 shots inside a quarter at 100, good shooting gun...
Old 09-22-2007, 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: jaybird2

I had a browning a-bolt last year in 308 win...same problem wouldent group at all,traded it in for a tikka t3 in 308 a few months ago,now thats a awsome gun shoots moa plus smooth action and detachable magizine without that stupid drop plate!
The nice thing about those stupid drop plates is you never lose them in the field.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Alright guys, here's the skinny. Yesterday I made sure that every last screw/bolt on that gun was tight and off I went to the range. The three ammo typesI had on hand were the Fusion 150gr (I know, most of you guys hate it), the Winchester X 150 gr & the Winchester Supreme 150 gr bst. Of all the ammo I shot, the rifle seemed to like the Winchester brand but even then, the best groups that I was able to shoot were 2.5" groups. Just to verify this, I had a buddy of mine shoot it & the results were the same. Are these groups acceptable for this rifle? or do I need to go a little further with this. Another friend of mine recommended a muzzebreak, but I can't see how that would improve accuracy. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats at 100 yards? Ive seen worse groups that were called acceptable for close in hunting. The real question should be is that acceptable for you. That rifle should be capable of far better. Id keep trying ammo, something other than 150 maybe. Do you know anyone that does some hand loading?

Quick Reply: "AT MY WITS END"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.