Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Johnson Rifles >

Johnson Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Johnson Rifles

Old 09-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Johnson Rifles

I was recently at a buddy's house and was checking out a rifle he has. He doesn't know much about it and I was wondering if anyone here could help me out. It's a bolt action rifle in 250-3000 AKA 250 Savage and the barrel reads "Johnson" on it. I did a few searches online without any help. His uncle used it for Antelope out west a couple times. Does anyone else have any knowledge of a "Johnson" gun? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:30 PM

Default RE: Johnson Rifles

The only johnson rifle I ever4 heard of was an autoloader made for the US military during WWII. I believe it was the gun used by the Devil's Brigade.

There's a note about them in the Blue Book that states they operated in New England and mostly produced semi autos in 30-06 and .270. So I guess they may have produced some bolts.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a johnson rifle that was made in 1968. It still shoots fairly well, but these guns are known for only firing blanks once they get on up in age. But they can sure fire a lot of rounds without wearing the barrel out.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WomBeasel

The only johnson rifle I ever4 heard of was an autoloader made for the US military during WWII. I believe it was the gun used by the Devil's Brigade.

There's a note about them in the Blue Book that states they operated in New England and mostly produced semi autos in 30-06 and .270. So I guess they may have produced some bolts.
How about some pics of that rifle??

The Johnson rifles of WWII fame were designed by Captain Melvin M. Johnson, USMC, but he did not MAKE them! Some were bought by the Dutch for use in Indonesia and some appear to have been issued to some U.S. Marine units foruse in the Pacific theater of operations. In addition to the rifle, there was a light machinegun version, and all of these were originally chambered in .30/'06. But it appears that some, "chambered for 7mm" ( 7X57mm??)were sold to some South American nations prior to US entry into WWII.

I believe a lot of the '06 version were dumped on the US surplus market after WWII, and were not too expensive at that time. However, they command a stiff price these days! I believe some were sold withnew .270 Win. barrels back then too. Not too difficult to do, as they had a relatively simple barrel-change feature.

Now, after WWII that same Melvin Johnson "designed" the "5.57mm MMJ" round by necking down the .30 carbine caseto .224. He rebarreled some M1 carbines to shoot it. A great beer-can load! But I am not aware of any BOLT ACTION rifles ever made by him, and certainly not in .250 Savage (a great little cartridge, BTW!!).

I would certainly like to know more about any good bolt-actions made in .250 Savage, regardless of who made them!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

I'll post some pics if I get a chance. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Site Bouncer

Are you sure it's not marked "Iver Johnson"? I believe there were Iver Johnson bolt action rifles made. I gotta check on that.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of Iver Johnson guns. Could it be an Iver Johnson?