HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Custom Rifle Project (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/20560-custom-rifle-project.html)

cgturner7 01-07-2003 12:36 PM

Custom Rifle Project

I've been thinking about building a custom rifle around a Richards Microfit laminated stock. I really like the looks of thumbhole design. I'm looking for some advice on what to do. Being a rookie at this I have lots of questions. Why does everyone rave about the Mauser action? Is it worth building a new rifle from one of those? Can I build it in any caliber I want? Any and all advice is welcome. What would you build? Stainless or blue? Different stock? Actions, calibers? Thanks in advance.

Vapodog 01-07-2003 01:15 PM

RE: Custom Rifle Project

Custom guns are rather personal and I assure you'll have some cash tied up in it and will never get it back!!

I'd personally look for a used model 70 for my action. You might like the commercial mauser action imported by Charles Daly, they also have barreled actions available and also in mini actions for the .22 hornet and the .223. The Remington 700 also makes a fine action for a custom rifle but they are most ofted used as a varmint action.

My personal prejudice for barrels runs to Douglas Premium although there's many excellent barrel makers. (assuming you don't buy a barreled action)

You can build up a custom action from a military '98 Mauser, but I'd advise to get a commercial action if mausers are in your "thing".

If you decide to rework a '98 mauser, I'd like to see you find a BRNO or a "Mauserwerk"...possibly a 1909 Argentine, an FN, or a J P Sauer. Best dates are from 1935 to 1943 and these actions can be made to handle cases from .222 (yes, that's not a typo) to .358 Norma mag. But you got some work to do!

I'm a strong believer in glass bedding see Brownell's catalog...

If this is going to be a prairie dog gun, I'd put on a stainless barrel (save the cost of blueing)

You didn't say if this is to be a deer rifle, moose rifle, target rifle, or what.....probably ought to say that first!!

cgturner7 01-07-2003 03:21 PM

Vapodog, you are right. I forgot to say that it will be a hunting gun. It will be a deer rifle mainly, with a slight possibility of pronghorn. I'd like to go stainless but that's purely for cosmetics, not necessity. Probably the only time it will see the bench is to sight it in and then I plan to use it. It will need to be something that is very reliable.

Duffy 01-08-2003 02:43 AM

Are you just interested in dropping a barreled action into your thumbhole stock? Or do you want a wildcat cartridge with a fine barrel and a custom trigger and all?

If I just wanted a deer/pronghorn gun in a thumbhole stock, I have always liked the Win. model 70 action. I would have to through a bunch of cartridges in a hat and pull one out to choose one. 6.5 X 55 Sweedish or .257 Roberts or maybe a 25/06 or 270 or 7X57 or 280 or 7mm/08.

Quilly 01-08-2003 04:09 AM

cgturner7..

look at www.brownells.com they have all you need for a cutom rifle.

corey006 01-08-2003 05:50 AM

I would go the 98 Mauser route. Find a Turkish, German, Swede or Yugo mauser in 8X57 and re-chamber it for 8MM-06 or better yet 8MM-06 AI (Ackley Improved).

popeye 01-08-2003 07:24 AM

Everyone talks about the Mauser action because they are strong, reliable, plentyfull and can be inexpensive. I have a 338-06 which I built on a Interarms Mauser action. Barrel, action, stock, replacement trigger and gunsmithing costs add up quickly. For me, picking a caliber was the most fun. I just can't see the reason for doing a custom hunting rifle in 30-06 or any other common caliber. If you reload the choices are almost endless. If not then pick something less common but still available and useful, maybe a 25-06, 257 Roberts or 7mm Mauser. Remember to have fun and enjoy your project. Oh, I'm starting another rifle as soon as I find an action.

thndrchiken 01-08-2003 10:05 AM

Like the others have said, for a deer/pronghorn gun that can switch roles at the change of a load and zero, I suggest 257 Roberts, 25-06, 6.5x55 or a 7mm-08. All are proven rounds and have a ready supply of components available to handload to their full potential. Don't know what your budget is but if you were to find a mauser 98 action preferably a czech or FN or even one of the fine swedish small ring 98's the 96 isn't a bad choice either though. That would probably save you about $300 right there alone. If you look for a german mauser you'll do better to stay between 1929-1942, the quality and craftsmanship were put into them before the war effort took it's toll.

Vapodog 01-08-2003 10:06 PM

CTGTURNER7, aren't you glad you asked?.....and believe me.....you're getting a lot of good advice.....listen to everyone because all opinions are important.

I've built guns from .222 to .375 H&H and used about every action imaginable.

Do this.....decide on what cartridge you want, then what barrel contour you want and length and blued or stainless, then the stock design and material, then you can finally decide the action.

cgturner7 01-09-2003 03:17 PM

Ok, so I'm thinking .257 Roberts, 25-06 or 7mm-08. I currently shoot a .308 so want something different but not a cannon either. Deer hunting is the goal. Vapodog, what do you mean by barrel contour? I would like to go with stainless to have something different. Got the stock figured. Action? Can I go to gun shows to see Mausers? What do I look for? What should I avoid? Thanks, and keep the advice coming.