Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .300 Remington Ultra Mag >

.300 Remington Ultra Mag

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.300 Remington Ultra Mag

Old 08-30-2007, 07:00 PM

Default .300 Remington Ultra Mag

I am consideering buying a Remington 700 in .300 RUM. However, today I was at Gander Mountain and the guy at the firearm counter said that Remington is going to be disontinuing rifles that use this round due to lack of interest.

Has anybody heard this? If so, should I stay away from that rifle?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .300 Remington Ultra Mag

I have not heard that about the 300 RUM however the 7MM RUM is a different story. Even so, if I wanted one, I wouldn't let that stop me. Buy it and get step up to reload right away. Most here who have them would probably agree that you really have to reload for that rifle to bring out its best. If you don't plan to reload then go with the 300 Win Mag or the 300 WSM. Ammo will be cheaper, easier to find and all three with factory loads will perform pretty much the same task.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:59 PM

Deepdiver, definately agree with James B, if you really want this specific caliber, set yourself up with reloading equipment, and plenty of brass, and load your own. Then whatever happens to this specific cartridge really won't have any bearing on you. If your not wanting to get into reloading, then if I was you, definately go with one of the more tried and true, will most likely be around forever, .308 cartridges, like the 300 Win Mag. I know quite a few elk hunters around here that love the 300 Remington Ultramag, and would really hate to see it go.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:51 AM

Just because Remington discontinues chambering rifle in it means nothing. they do that all the time. Heck, in a couple years they will probably have 2 or 3 rifles chambered in it. Its not like all of a sudden you can't buy ammo.

I would recommend that you not buy cartridges based on popularity. Some of the best rounds out there arevery unpopular. Some of the most popular are completely over-rated.

I think the most prudent thing to do would be to reload for it nonetheless.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:55 AM

I will be hunting primarily in Michigan, with maybe a few trips out west for Elk in the future(not a regular occurance). After reading and studying ballistic charts for the last couple of weeks or so, I am now thinking that a 7mm Mag might be a "good enough" gun for me right now. First of all, I can actually buy the gun much cheaper(a friend has one for sale). Second, ammo is WAY cheaper and available in many more places.

Since I don't currently reload, it would be a pretty big investment for me to start. And my wife would leave me if I brought one more hobby oriented device into my already overcrowded home.

Thanks for the advice.
Mike
Old 09-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was wondering why you needed that much rifle anyway. I don't see any reason why a 7mm mag won't do a dandy job with bullets matched to game being hunted. The 7mm mag has successfully killed thousands of elk cleanly. Just because the companys come out with new rifles and cartridges almost every year,don't mean the ole tried and true calibers all of a sudden won't work anymore-look at the old 30-06.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

They might have been talking about the 300 SAUM which was pretty much dead before it started do to the 300 WSM, but I thought the 300 RUM was holding its own. I take whatever the "gun guys" at GM, BPS, Academy, etc with a grain of salt because some of them aren't very qualified.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

I have a 300 Ultra for sale if anyone is interested. [email protected]

I am just leaving for N Dakota to shoot a few sharptail. I will return early next week.

Bill
Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 PM

I would be suprised if they were discontinuing that cal., considering they have recently introduced the power level ammo for it, giving it the level of a 30.06 , a 300 mag., and a 300 RUM in power level ammo I, II , and III respectively. See link....

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/power_level.asp

Hope this helps.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:20 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I was wondering why you needed that much rifle anyway. I don't see any reason why a 7mm mag won't do a dandy job with bullets matched to game being hunted. The 7mm mag has successfully killed thousands of elk cleanly. Just because the companys come out with new rifles and cartridges almost every year,don't mean the ole tried and true calibers all of a sudden won't work anymore-look at the old 30-06.
I used it for years in three different guns. I loved the performance. With a 200gr nosler partition, I never worried about penetration in any animal.

But the bad side. I burned out 2 different barrels. One was a nice kreiger. I am done with the cartridge. I now shoot a Win mag. I hope to double my life of the barrel. I am getting 3100fps with 180gr ballistic tip. Not bad from a old work horse.

So I agree with you.

Quick Reply: .300 Remington Ultra Mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.