Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Purchase in NY, gets held up by FEDS???? >

Gun Purchase in NY, gets held up by FEDS????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Purchase in NY, gets held up by FEDS????

Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gun Purchase in NY, gets held up by FEDS????

I'm a NY resident and every time I purchase a new rifle they call it in and it gets delayed. Calling in is standard procedure, but mine always gets delayed and I have to wait 5 days. So in 5 days I go back and get the gun. I'm assuming a red flag was thrown up somewhere. How do I figure out where. My answers to all the questions on the sheet was no and correct. They ask if you've ever been CONVICTED or a felony or Misdemeanor domestic violence. I have been in a few fights about 10 yrs ago. Was charged a few times for fighting. One was a felony, but it go dropped. No were domestic violence. So I'm wondering where the red flag is.
Anyone have any thoughts or know where to being to figure it out??
It's amazing how a few mistakes in college can follow you around. I'm glad they do their due diligence, I'm just curious where what is actually holding it up.
Thoughts??
Old 08-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Gun Purchase in NY, gets held up by FEDS????

Kirch,

You may want to check back with the court system that handled your "little indiscretion" when you were in college. Sometimes things don't get filed properlywhen charges are droppedor all of the proper avenues taken when probation periods are up. This could be the cause of your problems.......I know because I too had some "little indiscretions" when I wasin college as well (fighting) and early on I also had problems with my application being red flagged. I would always be allowed to purchase the firearm but there would be a delay. Since I got it all straightened out (made a few phone calls)I haven't had a problem in the last 17years or so.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I've had a buddy whom is a NYS Police Investigator pull my record and it shows everything as I'd expect it. No felonies, a few disorderly conducts, and a harrassment charge (was a 2nd degree assult felony) but got reduced.

Anyway, any clue who I'd contact in NYS to find out what the red flag is. Seems like it would be easier to figure out what the red flag is than contacting all the courts to find out if they filed the paper work write... when I don't even know what the red flag is????
Old 08-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Could be someone with a simalar name who is directly impacting your application. This happens to a friend of mine who is a Jr. Sr. was a bad man back in the day. Impacts Jr. everytime he fill out the back ground check.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Kirch

I've had a buddy whom is a NYS Police Investigator pull my record and it shows everything as I'd expect it. No felonies, a few disorderly conducts, and a harrassment charge (was a 2nd degree assult felony) but got reduced.

Anyway, any clue who I'd contact in NYS to find out what the red flag is. Seems like it would be easier to figure out what the red flag is than contacting all the courts to find out if they filed the paper work write... when I don't even know what the red flag is????
I think your buddy is the best route to find out the problem. Mine was pretty easy....not much paperwork to go throughfor a small town court in Utah.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

So if I ever have a boy I should name him jr : )

I'm sure it's crap I've done that's the red flag. Like I said I was charged with a few felonies for fighting. But none stuck. It seems like the winner of the fight is the one charged and then it gets ironed out after. It's crazy. I knocked a guy out for punching his girlfriend in the face and Iget in a lot of trouble. I guess I should have stayed out of it. I didn't know either person. I just saw them arguing and the next thing I know I see her tooth flying throw the air after he cracked her w/ a closed first. It made me boil. I walked up to him and said if you wanna be a man hit me and I drove him a good one. cops saw me do it and I got charged w/ a felony. But after I told my side to the judge he dropped it toa misdomener.

I'm just trying to figure out who I can call .......FEDS, NYS to figure out what is actually causing this.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Spike

I am not sure it is anything in your past. My best friend goes through the same thing everytime he buys a gun. He is a high school principal with a spotless record.
Will
Old 08-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

No felonies, a few disorderly conducts, and a harrassment charge (was a 2nd degree assult felony) but got reduced.
I think you know where the red flag is. It seems to be right there for all to see.

They are investigating you further because of your pastrecord. All checks out so they allow you to have the gun after the waiting period.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:39 PM

The way the system now works, "the easy way" you are looking for simply does not exist.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

No felonies, a few disorderly conducts, and a harrassment charge (was a 2nd degree assult felony) but got reduced.
I think you know where the red flag is. It seems to be right there for all to see.

They are investigating you further because of your pastrecord. All checks out so they allow you to have the gun after the waiting period.
Yep.

But as someone else mentioned, there are plenty of folks I know that have totally clean backgrounds and get fenced up every time for a few days. Even a couple of cops.

Here are some common trends I have found with folks getting delayed in the past four years as a firearms salesman:

1) If you have a common last name... prepare to wait.. especially if you don't give you SSN.

2) If you have lived in several different states, prepare to wait.

3) If you have been delayed before... preapre to wait again.

4) It also depends on how the system(s) in the state you live in work. VA for example relies on the state police for its background checks. If somethign is missing (basically if it doesn't immediately come back as a go) then they will call NICS themselves (that would be the Feds... National Instant Criminal Service or some junk like that... its in WV). The way they research stuff is crazy. Millions of files on millions of people from millions of places... thats why it takes so long.

5) If you have a warrant for anything from unpaid tickets to unpaid child support... prepare to go to jail! First gun I EVER sold.... was a Ruger Vaquero... 45 LC... blued... I was a senior in college.... I called the gun in and got put on hold for like 15 minutes.... I didn't know any different it was my first one. Next thing I know... cops come through the door and cuff the guy and haul him out the door. A few days later a friend in the know; our federal ATF liason officer tells us that the guy hadn't paid his child support in over a year. Oooops....

Quick Reply: Gun Purchase in NY, gets held up by FEDS????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.