Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun Accuracy >

Shotgun Accuracy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun Accuracy

Old 08-24-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Shotgun Accuracy

I just purchased a Remington 11-87 Sportsman Deer in 20 gauge w/ 21" fully rifled barrel. I have a 2x7 scope shooting the 260 grain core-lokt sabot slugs.

How accurate should this be at 50 yds? First time out I was shooting 6 inch groups at $3 bucks a hole, ouch!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shotgun Accuracy

Find the right ammo and you might find yourself 6-inch groups at 100 yards.

Every shotgun is different. Gotta experiment with different slugs to wring the most out of them as you would with any gun.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:40 PM

[/align]I'm not too familiar with 20 gauge ammo. Do they have 2 3/4 and 3in like 12 gauge? When I got my fully rifled 12, the 2 3/4 didn't shoot accurately compared to 3in ammo. And it also definitely liked some ammo better than others. At that time, remington copper solids were all the rage, but my gun sure hated them. What worked best for meturned out to be the federal ammo with the barnes expander bullets, but I bruised the hell out of my shoulder trying out every brand of ammo wally world had to offer. It's expensive, but worth it. As for what you should expect, mine overlapped shots at 60 yds with the federal stuff and iron sights, can shoot it accurately to 100 yards under perfect conditions. But every gun is different, and you just might not get those results out of yours. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same set up only 12 gauge, you should be doing way better than 6 inch groups at 50 yards. Make sure your scope mounts are tight. I usually shoot a couple of rounds tighten everything shoot a couple more, and so on. I can shoot clover leaf patterns out to 100 yards with plain ole Remington Foster Sluggers. Check your mounts to make sure things didn't loosen up, Make sure you have a decent scope, and practice. It may be your 1187 does not shoot the core locks well.....you may need to change brands of slugs. I going to try some Lightfield slugs this fall. Not because I'm trying to get better groups but the foster slugs leave too much lead in the rifled barrel and it's a pain to clean it out. Good Luck and let us know how your shooting later.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 PM

I have the leupold VX-I Shotgun scope. I am heading to cabelas tomorrow to get some of the federal barnes sabot's and will give them a try.

Dumb question, but will the rifled slugs shoot ok in a rifled barrel. I was under the impression that only the sabot will shoot in the rifled barrel?

thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Spike

I would say you only want to shoot sabots with the rifled barrel.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:16 PM

ORIGINAL: mwaite

I'm not too familiar with 20 gauge ammo. Do they have 2 3/4 and 3in like 12 gauge? When I got my fully rifled 12, the 2 3/4 didn't shoot accurately compared to 3in ammo. And it also definitely liked some ammo better than others. At that time, remington copper solids were all the rage, but my gun sure hated them. What worked best for meturned out to be the federal ammo with the barnes expander bullets, but I bruised the hell out of my shoulder trying out every brand of ammo wally world had to offer. It's expensive, but worth it. As for what you should expect, mine overlapped shots at 60 yds with the federal stuff and iron sights, can shoot it accurately to 100 yards under perfect conditions. But every gun is different, and you just might not get those results out of yours. Good luck!
I have the NEF Deer Tracker II and it absolutely looooooooooooooves the Barnes Expanders, 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups at 75-100 yards with Iron Sights.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Fork Horn

My slug gun loves the Federal barnes expanders also.
At 50 yards 5 shots will all cut the same hole around
it.As mentioned absolutely make sure all screws are
loctited and dried before sighting in as slug guns will
really loosen up the screws.Let us know how the new
ammo shoots. Mike
Old 08-25-2007, 05:32 AM

since you have a rifled barrel... you might also want to consider the Hornady SST slugs. i shoot these out of my 870 epress and can leave all three shots within a 1 and a half inch group at 50 yards with open sights.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: starhunter21

I have the leupold VX-I Shotgun scope. I am heading to cabelas tomorrow to get some of the federal barnes sabot's and will give them a try.

Dumb question, but will the rifled slugs shoot ok in a rifled barrel. I was under the impression that only the sabot will shoot in the rifled barrel?

thanks
Yes you can, just leaves a lot of lead in the rifling to clean out. I've been doing it for years.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.