Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 12 gauge Slug Range >

12 gauge Slug Range

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 gauge Slug Range

Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 12 gauge Slug Range

the new sabot slugs allow you to shoot much further but shooting anything much farther then 150 yards is very unlikely
Old 08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Follower

Two years ago I killed a real nice 16" whitetail buck at 150 absolutely honest, Leica ranged yards. The bullet passed completely through. This is with my 12 gauge H & R Ultra slughunter and Winchester Platinum tips. These shoot extremely well through my gun. They carry plenty of energy past this point, but do start to drop pretty quickly. I personally would probably not take a shot much further out than this. The Winchester Partition golds did not shoot anywhere near this accurately through my rifle, and being that they leave the muzzle a couple of hundred fps faster, they definately put more into your shoulder.
Follower,

This is the second time you posted something I would have said word for word with the exception my longest shot was a few yards shy of yours. I too find the Platinum tips to be more accurate out of my Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe. I actually like the design of the Platinum tip better than the Partition (for deer sized game) and in my experience,it simply drops them in their tracks.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 PM

Big, two other guys I have hunted whitetails with both have H&R Ultra Slug Hunters, one deluxe, the other standard, and they have both found the same thing, that the platinum tips group really well through these guns. Kind of nice to find this kind of barrel consistency out of a quite reasonably priced rifle.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Follower

Big, two other guys I have hunted whitetails with both have H&R Ultra Slug Hunters, one deluxe, the other standard, and they have both found the same thing, that the platinum tips group really well through these guns. Kind of nice to find this kind of barrel consistency out of a quite reasonably priced rifle.
Yeah, I was shocked. I was pretty happy with the Mossberg bolt gun but I was reading a lot about the H&R so I had to see for myself. After sighting it in I was amazed on how accurate it was. I think the bull barrel has a lot to do with it but so does therifling twist 1-28 for the20ga and 1-34 for the 12ga.

It's set upspecifically to shoot the fast sabot slugsplus it's a very simple andsteady platform to start with. With it sighted in at 100ydsthe Winchester Platinum slugs will only drop about 5in at 150yds.

I think if you were set up in a place where extended shots were the norm, you could probably sight it in at 150yds and be able to reach out to 200yd depending on the slug selected.

I like the 100yd zero becauseI don't have to over adjust(Sights never have to leave the kill zone) from point blank all the wayout to 150yds.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:24 PM

Obviously the weight of the H & R Ultra SlugHunter is also part of the reason the gun shoots quite accurately, but also, and no less importantly, does not feel like like a truck ran into your shoulder when you fire it. My previous rifle barreled shotgun was the Mossberg 695.My perceived recoil was considerably more from this gun, and I really could not get it to shoot nearly as accurately. I actually traded the Mossberg for the H&R and have been really happy with the decision. In the Mossbergs defense, it was lighter than the H&R.