Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Buying an O/U need Help! >

Buying an O/U need Help!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying an O/U need Help!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Buying an O/U need Help!

Beretta makes a quality shotgun so does Ruger so you can't go wrong. I hesitate to tell someone what to buy and I only have experience with older Beretta shotguns but they are made extremely well and will last a lifetime. I would lean toward them but only from owning a few. Everything I've heard/read about the Ruger was good too.

To be honest with you I think it's going to floor him that you put this much time and effort into this gift to where the actual gift itself (Ruger or Beretta) will not matter as much as you think.

I can only go off of my past experiences, my wife has purchased shotguns for me in the past (a Beretta and a Browning) and I was floored each time she did it.

Good luck but I'm sure it will turn out just fine.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:59 PM

ask his friends to find out for you, they might know already. thats how a good friends wife ended up buying him a Benelli Super Black Eagle.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have handled way too many loose Ruger's right out of the box. The Beretta is a superior product.If he does not shot a lot the Ruger will handle the job. But if he shots a lot(1000 rounds or more a month) go with the Beretta. Tom.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

I used to sell both at a sporting goods store and I like both. The berretta has a better fit and finish as well as being a little lighter (easier to carry all day). The ruger is built like a tank, most rugers are. The ruger will take more abuse. If it were the stainless ruger, it would handle the wet weather much better. If he hunts when it is wet that is. Are his other guns and such stainless? That could be a clue. What every body is telling you about “fit” cannot be stressed enough. Since a shotgun is pointed and not aimed the proper “feel” is of utmost importance. A cheap gun that “fits” would be better than an expensive one that did not “feel” right. Use his friends, the gift card with pictures, or if it is a good store that has both; take him in and demand that he picks which one he wants! If they have more than one of the type he wants, request to see all of them. The wood on both of these models can vary greatly from gun to gun. I have seen some truly beautiful wood on both models, but it is very hit and miss and the only way to tell is to see all that they have in stock.

Again, you are a wonderful girlfriend and my wife just rolled her eyes when I pointed this out.

mello
Old 08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see 1 thing we all have overlooked is barrel length. Barrel length will determine balance and how easy it is to swing. Try to determine what he is going to use it for as with trap,sporting clays,and waterfoul guns it's desirable to have longer barrels whereas with most upland game shorter barrels work better. This runs in same catagory as fit.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:56 PM
bigcountry

I am so excited. I am just hoping this is my wife, wanting to surprise me, but she says boyfriend just to throw me off.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I am so excited. I am just hoping this is my wife, wanting to surprise me, but she says boyfriend just to throw me off.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have said, Beretta, Browning, and Ruger all make quality O/U shotguns, and I have owned Berettas and Brownings and handled several Rugers owned by friends. My taste runs toward the Beretta which I have an english grip Onyx now. My only complaint about Brownings is that they tend to be more "clubby". My only complaint about Rugers is that they don't tend to be as "tight" and flop open. I have a friend that really USES his Red Label, and the guns can take alot of abuse with little effect. Any way you go you will have a great gun.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hjomats

I am purchasing an o/u 12ga for my boyfriend for his birthday. I have done tones of research and have it narowed down to a Ruger Red Label or a Berret 686 (I can't afford the citori).......Any thought? The gun will be used for pheasant hunting. Thanks
You will not go wrong with the Red Label-they are excellent guns!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 AM

One is a 26 and one is a 28........I am not to sure about the barrel length he would prefer......it isfor Upland game.....but some people told me that the 28 might be better because of his height (His is 6,4).

Right now my plan is to purchase the Berreta the day before his Birthday, give it to him and then he will have about two weeks to decide if it "fits"........If not......back to the store for one of theRugers (The store has 2 (a regular red label and a woodsided).

Quick Reply: Buying an O/U need Help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.