Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .270 or 7mm rem mag. ? >

.270 or 7mm rem mag. ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 or 7mm rem mag. ?

Old 08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .270 or 7mm rem mag. ?

konnari

In my opinion, i would choose the 270 shooting a 130 grain Nosler all day over the 7mm. The 270 - often called "the poor man's magnum" or the thinking man's gun" is very close to 7mm stats. I had two different 7 mags and really could not see a significant performance factor over the 270 + the benefits of the 270 - ammo available everywhere, less expensive to shoot - and while recoil doesn't bother me it certainly is less and you can shoot the darn thing all day.

If I were going Mag I would go 300 win mag. Just got a new Tikka Lite in 300 wm and I can not believe out of the box how good of a shooter it is. I have no second thoughts about getting rid of the Weatherby + I am really not fond of the short mag theory....

Old 08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Konnari- Do you have any property up there?? If Hillary gets elected Pres. down here I might have to move in with ya for about 4 years.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:14 PM

7 mag for me!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 270 - often called "the poor man's magnum" or the thinking man's gun" is very close to 7mm stats.

and while recoil doesn't bother me it certainly is less and you can shoot the darn thing all day.

If I were going Mag I would go 300 win mag
You can say the same thing about the 7mmremmag when comparing it to the 300win mag.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Spike

Everyone has to make up their own mind on what they want the 270 and 7mm rem mag are very close in performance. The case for the 7mm doesnt seem to allow for much of an increase in powder as some of the other magnums. The 270 can and will handle all sorts of game even in Africa for a lot less recoil then the 7mm rem mag. But it comes down to what you like to shoot.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:45 AM

If you are just looking to add another rifle to your gun safe, then go for it, I love the 7mm Mag. But Federal offers a 180 grain Accubond offering in the .338 Win Mag that looks like a slick round for what your trying to accomplish. It leaves the barrel at about 3100 fps. Normally 7 win mags and .338 win mags are setup in similar barrel lengths and general configurations. Just looking at the rifles, they look and feel quite similar until you look at the opening at the end of the barrel. I don't know what your mountains are like there, but here in Idaho, the various WSM's are becoming quite popular for getting up into the higher elevations. Just nice tocarry as little a weight as possible, and the shorter barrel is just a little more pleasant to pack around.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Spike

I agree with you a 270 WSM would look nice in my safe, but maybe the 7mm rem. mag. would look a bit nicer !The short mags are far from being popular around here in Europe unlike the 7mm rem mag. which is on the other hand quite popular for the long range hunting. I think in general the 7mm bullets have better BC than the .277 cal….but the 270 WSM has a very impressive ballistics and has a reputation for being very accurate.
P.s. Caribou hunting in the mountains around here can be very difficult and a real challenge in some regions and therefore the lighter your gear is the better. From what I have seen there isn’t much difference in weight between the short mag and the standard mag´s.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:05 PM

A 7 Mag will kill some of those tough mountain goats a lot more efficiently then the 270 and at further distances. Although most shots are taken within 400 yards so either or will do but with the 7 Mag your chances of a one shot, one kill are better then the 270's.